Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2128 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2013 6:26 AM by andychips RSS 1 2 Previous Next
andychips Newcomer 10 posts since
Sep 11, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 18, 2013 10:32 AM

Problem with upgrade from Groupshield to MSME

I'm trying to upgrade our GroupShield installation from GSE 7.0.1 to MSME. I've been through the checklist and the current installation fulfills all prerequisites apart from hotfix 725138.

So, I've started installing it and everything is good until I run GSEePOUpgrade.exe to update the policies. The DOS-like window sits there for about 2 minutes and then prompts for a SQL named instance.

GSEePOUpgrade 1.PNG

I enter the named instance (server name obscured here for security reasons):

GSEePOUpgrade 2.PNG

After about 3 minutes I get the error shown above. The contents of the log file EPODebugTrace.txt contains the following:

-----------------------START DEBUG-----------------------

----------------------03/18/13  15:17:20-----------------

15:17:20 Found that EPO Version is 4.5

15:17:55 Com error1

15:17:55 ADODB Error: Code = 80004005 Code meaning = Unspecified errorSource = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL ServerDescription = [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

15:18:28 Com error in getting ServerName

15:18:28 ADODB Error: Code = 80004005 Code meaning = Unspecified errorSource = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL ServerDescription = [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

15:20:22 Com error in gettting SQL Named Instance

15:20:22 ADODB Error: Code = 80004005 Code meaning = Unspecified errorSource = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL ServerDescription = [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

15:20:53 Com error in getting DomainName/ServerName

15:20:53 ADODB Error: Code = 80004005 Code meaning = Unspecified errorSource = Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL ServerDescription = [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

15:20:55 Impersonate failed for User: {username removed for security purposes)

----------------------03/18/13  15:20:55-----------------

-----------------------STOP DEBUG------------------------

I've tried all permutation of named instance and I can also connect to the SQLEXPRESS_EPO instance locally and remotely using SQL Management Studio.

Can anyone help please?

Andy.

• Aidan McAfee SME 461 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    1. Mar 18, 2013 11:05 AM (in response to andychips)
    Re: Problem with upgrade from Groupshield to MSME

The tool in MSME 7.6 and MSME 8 is called MSMEePOUpgade.exe - in both of these installer zips you will see ePO folder which contains these.

The GSE one was for upgrading previous versions policies to GSE701 extension.

If looking for min requirement of 725138 - I''ll assume its MSME 8 extension you are adding and want to upgrade policies from GSE701 Extension ??

If you look at the HF725138 you will see this has a series of Extensions which must be installed first - e.g. if its English you need to add  GROUPSHD7003_0409.ZIP extension to ePO.  This will keep existing GSE policies.

Then extract the full MSMEePOUpgrade.zip directly into a folder on your ePO server and run the msmeepoupgrade.exe from there.

Nov 4, 2009
    3. Mar 19, 2013 6:22 AM (in response to andychips)

It may be easier to separate actions on ePO server and actions on Exchange Server(s).

You can install the extensions on the ePO server even if MSME is not installed yet on the Exchange servers.

On the Exchange Servers you can deploy the installation Package or you can run locally the installer - if GSE meets min requirement locally the upgrade can happen. 

So to get the HF installed you can check in and deploy HF725138_FOR_EPO.ZIP package as per readme instruction

Or run the GSE701HF725138.EXE locally on the Exchange Server!

These parts of the HF Package do not add the product Extension.

For the Extension in ePO you need the corret language extension  e.g if English check in Extension GROUPSHD7003_0409.ZIP

Now you should have two GSE Extensions GROUPSHD7000 and GROUPSHD7003

(I think maybe I missed this part in posting yesterday)

You can now upgrade the policies in GROUPSHD7000 to GROUPSHD7003 by running the GSEePOUPGRADE.exe

(Extact the full GSEEPOUPGRADE.ZIP to a folder on your ePO server and run the GSEEPOUPGRADE.exe from there)

Now you are in a position to upgrade the polices to MSME - again extract the full MSMEEPOUPGRADE.ZIP from MSME package to folder on the ePO server and run MSMEEPOUPGRADE.exe. (as stated above this can be done well in advance before upgrading on the Exchange servers - so you can ensure the policies you want are in place and ready to assign to servers/groups that msme 8 will be installed to).

Nov 4, 2009
    5. Mar 19, 2013 6:47 AM (in response to andychips)

Wanted to make sure it Is being run from the ePO server locally??

Is UAC a factor (did you run the cmd window as admin)??

Nov 4, 2009
    7. Mar 19, 2013 10:26 AM (in response to andychips)

Are the db/instance details  being added correct as per the settings in ePO for SQL access ??

• tlange McAfee SME 344 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    9. Mar 19, 2013 11:20 AM (in response to andychips)

when you run the upgrade tool try putting the following in for the server instance
    <instancename>, 62868

i have a feelling the tool is trying to connect over port 1433 instead of the 62868 port that sql is listening over.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points