7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2013 2:27 AM by asabban RSS

MWG port fowarding fallback settings

satbir

Hi,

In MWG v6 we can set multiple port fowardings for same set of source subnet and destination port. This settings is implememnted in one of my customer's envirnonment. Now, they want to upgrade to MWG v7. In MWG v7, this settings is not allowed. My question is in MWG v6, if same set of source subnet and destination port is configured multiple times with different set of destination IPs then how does MWG v6 process it. Can we achieve same functionality in MWG v7?

Regards,port fowarding query.png

Satbir

• 1. Re: MWG port fowarding fallback settings
          Jon Scholten

I'm a bit confused, can you post a screenshot of what you had in MWG 6 for reference?

Best,

Jon

• 2. Re: MWG port fowarding fallback settings
            satbir

port-forwarding-6_x.JPG

In the above image same set of source and port can be used multiple times with different set of destination host. What does this sort of configuration do? Is there any way to achieve same outcome in MWG v7?

Message was edited by: satbir on 3/19/13 1:55:40 AM CDT
            • 3. Re: MWG port fowarding fallback settings
              asabban

Hello,

did you ever try if that worked as expected? As far as I know port forwarding is a 1:1 relationship. You cannot open a port multiple times and have it forwarded to different destination addresses. I wonder if you were able to enter a port multiple times in MWG 6 erroneously.

Best,

Andre

• 4. Re: MWG port fowarding fallback settings
                satbir

Hello Andre, good point! it should always have 1:1 relationship. MWG v6 accepts this configuration so I am not sure if it's correct or wrong. I need confirm whether the configuration set on mwg v6 is wrong or the other two mappings works as fallback IPs for the set of source and port. My customer's upgrade activity is on halt because of this ambiguity. It would help if i can get some sort of confirmation on it.

Regards,

Satbir

• 5. Re: MWG port fowarding fallback settings
                  asabban

Hello,

I configured Port 80 two times with different destinations on my MWG 6.x. Here is what the log says:

Mar 19 15:35:27 MWG6-1 xinetd[1965]: bind failed (Address already in use (errno = 98)). service = forwarder_80

Mar 19 15:35:27 MWG6-1 xinetd[1965]: Service forwarder_80 failed to start and is deactivated.

Only the first entry is used, all additional using the same port are disabled.

Best,

Andre

• 6. Re: MWG port fowarding fallback settings
                    satbir

Interesting! that means its a wrong configuration and not a fallback. Thanks Andre! You saved me!

Regards,

Satbir

• 7. Re: MWG port fowarding fallback settings
                      asabban

To be sure you could SSH into one of the existing machines at your customer and run

/etc/init.d/xinetd restart

Then watch the log files in /var/log (check messages or syslog) and you should notice similar messages. I am pretty sure (lets say 95%) that this has been configured someday in the past with the assumption of having a fallback, but was never tested and did never work.

Another good example why upgrading from 6 to 7 is a good chance to get rid of old, useless or broken stuff ;-)

Best,

Andre