It would appear that MCPR didn't remove everything. Go to Vista (which I hope is SP2) Control Panel > Programs and uninstall everything McAfee from there.
Download a fresh copy of MCPR: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe (Discard any others)
Run it and reboot taking note if it reported a successfuil run or not.
Run it again just in case and reboot.
Go to your online account and reinstall from there making sure it's from your current suvscription.
If that fails call or use the online chat to contact Technical Support. It's free of charge and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.
I dactivated the product, uninstalled it via windows VISTA uninstall manager then rebooted. I ran the MCPR 3 times with "Removal Complete" each time. From my account I downloaded and installed my latest subscription which expires 3/04/2014. When I checked the subscription from the system tray icon everything was fine. Three minutes later I get the same old problem "...subscription will deactivate in 7 days". When I go to my account, the subscription for the computer in question is active and good with the correct expiration date 3/04/2014.
Since my account has the computer active with the correct expiration date of 3/04/2014, I'm going to wait until the 7 days have passed and see what happens.
P.S. Ex_Brit I used the link you posted to download the latest version of the MCPR executable file.
That's very strange. There must be a registry key hanging around from an old installation that is orphaned and for some reason MCPR hasn't picked it up.
Have you by any chance used any registry cleaners lately? They sometimes can cause this sort of thing.
If it happens again Technical Support is your best bet, unless you want to go the really long and laborious registry cleanup method as shown in post #3 in THIS thread.
That should surely clean it up.
After going through the entire uninstall and running MCPR program (again 3 times), the problem still existed. I decided to check out the McAfee system tray icon right click contex menu. I first tried the reactivate option, but that showed my product was activated even though I had the 7 day expire warning. I finally tried the Verify Subscription option which came back "Subscription Verified" and that did the trick. So far the product is showing the correct number of days and 2014 as the expiration date.
How weird, but glad it's OK now.
All the best ;-)