1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 19, 2013 1:05 PM by Kary Tankink

HIPS 8 P2 HF 791162 logs traffic matching rule when deselected

ron.sokol

Anyone else seeing this behavior?  I block IPv6 in my environment at the HIPS firewall level.  It seems that since I applied patch 2 for HIPS 8 (or perhaps the HF 791162) I've noticed that certain firewall rules selected to not log are logging (and are cluttering my log files )

Message was edited by: ron.sokol HIPS extension version 8.0.0.563 on 3/12/13 9:22:00 AM CDT
        • 1. Re: HIPS 8 P2 HF 791162 logs traffic matching rule when deselected
          Kary Tankink

There is no way to force HIPS to NOT log firewall events with firewall rules.  The LOG MATCHING TRAFFIC rule just forces the traffic to be logged, in the event that the LOG ALL BLOCKED/ALLOWED options are disabled in the HIPS Activity log.

If the LOG ALL BLOCKED/ALLOWED options are ENABLED, but you have a Firewall rule with the LOG MATCHING TRAFFIC option DISABLED, this does not mean that HIPS will not log any matching traffic (this option does not force firewall events to NOT be logged).

Log matching traffic indicates that a record of matching traffic is preserved in the Host IPS Activity Log (event.log) on the client.