4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 3:01 PM by petersimmons

Super Agents on Laptops

dhalliday

I work in an organization where a large percentage of our machines are laptops and our EPO environments are split.  We are looking at ways to get away from using UNC paths for our repositories.  I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on how to utilize SA's and SAR's when the machines may not be available all the time.  Would we just want to create enough of a "mesh" across the subnets to accomodate for the mobility of our users?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Super Agents on Laptops
          Tristan

If all you want to do is make sure the laptops are up-to-date you could just make sure the McAfeeHTTP repository is active in your site list. That way as long as the device is on-line then it will be up-to-date.

Making a laptop a SuperAgent is probably a bad idea. The Agent 4.6.0 product guide states "select a system (preferably a server) in each segment to host a SuperAgent". If a laptop is a SuperAgent and it's out of the office then no other computers in that SuperAgents assigned broadcast segment will recieve wake-ups calls.

• 2. Re: Super Agents on Laptops
            petersimmons

You don't need zillions of repositories. Numerically having more than 1 repository per 200-500 machines is not a good idea. In fact, for my largest customers who have 100K endpoints most of them have 10 or less repositories. On average a single machine only needs about 200-300KB from a repository per day. The most superior type of repository is a web server. It need not be dedicated but simply a server internal to your organization that has excess capacity. Web servers support a large number of concurrent users and have high throughput. Super Agents may or may not depending entirely on the platform it is running upon.

Super Agents on laptops is a horrible idea. Laptops move and will provide highly unpredictable repository access.

• 3. Re: Super Agents on Laptops
              dhalliday

Both of you pretty much confirmed my suspicions with the laptop idea.  I really didn't think that was a feasible option since they move in and out of the network so much.

We don't have too many repositories right now (7), but we want to get out of the UNC path business since it's slow and cumbersome with SMB.

Besides the 4.6 agent product guide, any suggestions on other resources for further guidance?

• 4. Re: Super Agents on Laptops
                petersimmons

Use this to help figure out what is really going on with your updates. It gives you a start on putting hard numbers to things.

Repository Science