7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 9:16 PM by karthiks

Computer freezes when McAfee tries to update

My computer has been freezing regularly and I finally tracked it down to the automatic updater on McAfee.  I turned it off.  Now I get the messages that my computer is at risk.  Any suggestions on what to do?

• 1. Re: Computer freezes when McAfee tries to update
          Hayton

The McAfee updater grabs a lot of memory to install the updates. Perhaps that has something to do with your computer 'freezing'.

What exactly were the symptoms, how much memory have you got installed, and how big is your virtual memory (page file/swap file) allocation? And what is your operating system?

• 2. Re: Computer freezes when McAfee tries to update

Janed,

Adding to Hayton’s questions also include the version of McAfee you are using on the affected computer

• 3. Re: Computer freezes when McAfee tries to update

I am using VISTA;  RAM is 4 GB;  I am not sure how to check the virtual memory.  McAfee version is 12.1

The symptoms are that the computer freezes.  I turned off the automatic updater, rebooted the computer and then attmpted to update McAfee manually.  The machine froze again.  Thanks for whatever help you can give.  I am ready to take McAfee off the computer!

• 4. Re: Computer freezes when McAfee tries to update
                Hayton

4Gb is plenty unless you're running some memory-intensive programs. Are you running any other real-time anti-virus or anti-malware programs?

As a first step, run MVT to check that your McAfee programs are running properly. If that finds nothing wrong Karthiks may have some suggestions.

• 5. Re: Computer freezes when McAfee tries to update

I have made no changes to my computer in the past several months.  McAfee ran fine until just this weekend. 

Ran MVT, shut down all other programs and attempted to update McAfee.  The computer froze again.  I guess I need Karthiks additional suggestions.  My ontly thought now is to remove and reinstall.

Thank you for your help!

• 6. Re: Computer freezes when McAfee tries to update
                    Hayton

Okay, until Karthiks comes back (he's working a different shift this week) there's just one thing I can think of that might be useful to know. The computer freezes when you try to update - I take it this also applies to a manual update - so what stage of updating does it get to before everything freezes?  Check for updates, download, install - there's probably a different reason for getting stuck in each of those.

• 7. Re: Computer freezes when McAfee tries to update

Janed,

Try the below steps and reinstall the McAfee. We will check this will give us the resolution.

Click HERE to run the McAfee removal

Restart the computer after completing the removal

Click HERE to run the preinstall tool (deletes the cookies, temporary files, etc.,)

Check for Microsoft Windows Updates

Install all the available windows updates

Make sure you have Vista Service Pack 2

Restart the computer after installing all the available windows updates

Click HERE and login with your McAfee registered email address and the password

Follow the on screen instructions, download and install the McAfee

Restart the computer after completing the installation

Check the issue and update me the outcome