6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 3:13 PM by Peter M

System crush after up-date

After last up-date of McAfee my windows XP system crushed. At last I had to delete McAfee and install a new antivirus program.

Does someone knows we this happened?

• 1. Re: System crush after up-date
          Peter M

If you've now got another brand of software installed it will be difficult to be certain what caused it, but we have had reports of problems with older machines, particularly older ones with fewer than 4 CPU cores.   It shouldn't have happened assuming this is XP SP3 and fully updated, including IE8.

The minimum requirements for the software are:

• Windows XP SP3 or higher (32-bit)
          • Windows Vista SP1 (32- and 64-bit)
          • Windows 7 (32- and 64-bit)
          • Windows 8 (32- and 64-bit)
          • 512 MB RAM for XP
          • 2 GB RAM for Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8
          • 500 MB free drive space
          • 1 GHz processor
          • 2. Re: System crush after up-date
            Hayton

emigrante wrote:

After last up-date of McAfee my windows XP system crushed ...

Does someone knows we this happened?

Well, no. There's not much point asking you what was updated - just a DAT update or a McAfee component update - because you've deleted it so the information isn't there any more.

A system crash, especially on XP, is not unusual and can have many causes. You don't say whether the crash happened immediately after the update, or some time afterwards but before you re-booted, or on the next re-boot. If you get hold of Nirsoft's BlueScreenView (from HERE), and if you haven't deleted the dump files, then you can get some idea of what might have caused the crash.

You don't say if this was a BSOD (blue-screen Windows error message) or some other kind of crash. The Windows Stop codes in the blue-screen message give a lot of information which you should copy down, because that by itself will help to diagnose the cause of the crash. Some crashes are one-offs, and can basically be ignored. Others are a sign of driver or memory or kernel problems and cannot.

You say "at last" you had to delete McAfee. So what was happening to your system in the meantime?

The more information you can provide, the easier it is to diagnose the problem. Could be caused by McAfee, but not necessarily.

• 3. Re: System crush after up-date

Dear Ex_Brit, dear Hayton,

I use my desktop and McAfee since 2010 (oficial/legal windows xp and McAfee (3-users) version) and never had problems.

In october of last year the problems started. After an up-date of McAfee windows told me that an important file was modied and aksed me to insert the CD with service pack 3 in order to restore system. Of course the service pack 3 was a download on my pc and I have/ had no CD.

I shut down the system and started again. The image on the monitor looked like 8bit color.

I had to restart windows in secured modus (I do not know if this is the right term in english) and restore windows automatically.

The report of windows after restoring system said that a file of McAfee caused the problem.

This happaned after every McAfee up-date. So I deleted McAfee from my desktop. Now I have McAfee on my laptop and another antivirus progamm on my desktop.

As I still pay for McAfee a monthly amount to my provider I am thinking about cancelling my McAfee account or to resolve the problem.

Thanks

Luis

• 4. Re: System crush after up-date
                Peter M

Understand perfectly.  Modus = mode, so easy to know. ;-)

That should not be happening and I can only assume that some file or other was affected by the update when it shouldn't have been.

You can obtain free phone or online chat support in German via Technical Support linked under Useful Links at the top of this page if you wish.

• 5. Re: System crush after up-date

OK thanks, I thought I could ask the community before getting in contact with the tecnical support.

I will do it.

• 6. Re: System crush after up-date
                    Peter M

OK good luck.  Someone may still post ideas here, so we will leave this open.