Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
4408 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2013 7:23 AM by rmetzger RSS
k9fan Newcomer 1 posts since
Mar 8, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 8, 2013 1:17 AM

Message:  This PC or device has connected to your network:  10.0.1.2 (etc.)

I don't know if this indicates a malware problem or not.  My computer has McAfee Total Protection installed.

Last week I used the computer at school (I am a teacher and my computer is authorized on the network).  I had just connected to the network when a message came up:  This PC or device has connected to your network:  10.0.1.2. 

Today while using the computer at home, I got that message again.  I clicked on my network and besides the computers that should be on the home network,  there were maybe eight others devices all marked Offline, number 10.0.1.2, 10.0.1.3, etc., with no other information.

When my housemate came home I asked him to look at it and at first he couldn't see anything.  Then he rebooted and there weren't any of these 10.0.X.X. devices on the network.

Does this mean someone has broken into our network?  I can't tell whether I have a problem or not.  Through all of this, McAfee Total Protect reports that my computer is secure.

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,339 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002

Have you got your network set as work or private or public?

That IP seems like a router Ip address.

http://who.is/whois-ip/ip-address/10.0.1.2

If you are worried run the scans in this doc

McAfee Communities: Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools

and if you are still worried call support and ask them. Sounds like the school network names gives iPs in the 10.*.*.* range

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• rmetzger Champion 566 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005

Hi k9fan,

Welcome to the forums.

I'm not sure of your network (at home) configuration, so take this with that in mind.

Commonly, newer consumer grade routers and those routers designed with small businesses in mind, will create 2 separate networks.

One network is for private internal use, considered Home or Work, usually on the 192.168.1.x/255.255.255.0 segment. This is the traditional network most routers start with.

Newer routers may also include a Guest network, designed to give your visiting friend access to the Internet, but block access to your locally connected systems on the Home or Work segment. Often, the Guest network will exist on the 10.x.x.x/255.0.0.0 segment. Many times, the Guest segment have easy or no passwords assigned, whereas the Home or Work segment often use WPA or better security (for the wireless) set up to help prevent network breaches.

This sounds like what might be happening on you home router. For whatever reason, you failed to connect via the Work or Home segment (192.168.1.x) and instead connected to the Guest network on 10.x.x.x network.

Of course, I can't be sure of this, since I do not know the configuration and capabilities of your router.

Hopefully this helps.

Ron Metzger

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points