5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2013 9:58 PM by karthiks RSS

McAfee blocked my game.....

I was playing Farm Ville 2 on Face book and all of the sudden McAfee blocked it and now I cannot play it at all, How do I unblock my game????

• 1. Re: McAfee blocked my game.....

There are two places to check.

Open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation

Scroll down & Click Quarantined and Trusted Items

See if anything has been quarantined in any of those areas, if it has please post what it is described as.

Click Web and Email Protection

Click Firewall

Click Internet Connections for Programs

Click the word Program at the top of the list to rearrange it alphabetically

Look for anything to do with Facebook and/or Farmville and ensure it has full permission using the Edit button or try turning ooff the Netguard function for it.

Sometimes you need to play around with those settings to suit, so hopefully that will fix it.

if not, contact Technical Support as they can help and it's free.  See Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 2. Re: McAfee blocked my game.....

TYVM for your help Peter, I clicked on Quarantined and trusted items, nothing in the quarantined items but when I clicked on quarantined Potentionally unwanted programs, it ran for a couple of secs then froze, tried a few more times after that, but still freezing up everytime, so no list showed up.  Tried step 2 as well, but nothing was listed for Face book or Farmville.  Now what should I do?  TYVM for your help

• 3. Re: McAfee blocked my game.....

That freezing up should clear after a minute or two, sometimes takes a while to clear.   It usually means the folder is too full.  Potentially Unwanted Programs or PUPs can be ignored if you see the popup that goes along with it.   You may have to manually clean out that folder, see below.

Other than that all I can suggest is call Technical Support or online chat, it's free.

First double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Navigation (top right)

Click General Settings & Alerts (left)

Click Access Protection to expand that section

Uncheck Access Protection and click Apply

Leave SecurityCenter open on your desktop because you should re-enable Access Protection after the following steps.

Open any internal page such as Computer, Control Panel or Documents and go to Tools on the top Menu Bar, then go to Folder Options and click the View tab

Look for the 'Hidden Files and Folders' item, and check the item 'View Hidden Files and Folders' if not already checked and click Apply and OK

Go to C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Quarantine and click Edit/Select All

Click Shift and Delete simultaneously and the folder should empty.

Take care to delete only the contents of that folder, not the folder itself.

Re-enable Access Protection as mentioned above and click Apply and then exit SecurityCenter.

Those instructions are for Vista/Windows 7. 

For XP the folder is found at:  C:\Documents & Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\Virusscan

That's assuming your drive letter is C: please alter accordingly if not.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/03/13 6:18:37 EST AM
              • 4. Re: McAfee blocked my game.....

The thread has been moved into General Discussion since it's not a Support question.

• 5. Re: McAfee blocked my game.....

Please turn off the McAfee Firewall and check you are able to play the game. Update me the outcome