Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
715 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2013 12:33 PM by petersimmons RSS
mprenaud Newcomer 18 posts since
Jul 31, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 7, 2013 5:15 PM

Getting VSE Clients to Communicate over VPN connections

I have some clients that are usually in and out of the LAN.  They often communicate over wireless and connect back over VPN from a cellular modem.  For some reason these systems are not showing up in my ePO.  What is causing them not to communicate to the ePO.  What port needs to be open for communication to come through over this type of connectivity?  I have port 80, 443, 8081, 8080 open for ePO.  What might be blocked causing this not to ccome through?

Message was edited by: mprenaud on 3/7/13 5:15:04 PM CST
  • petersimmons McAfee Employee 230 posts since
    Dec 22, 2009

There are a few things to check:

1. Name resolution

2. IP connectivity

3. Ports

I'd probably check them in that order. Find the Sitelist.xml file on one of the clients. That will contain the hostnames and IP addresses the client believes it should be using from its install (or last communication if it had one).

As an example, if your ePO servers FQDN is epo.mycompany.local with an IP address of 10.0.0.5 then neither of those would work from a regular internet connection. The name isn't resolvable by public DNS and the IP address is non-routable. There are options to change this (or this is a case where an agent handler might help).

Need more info before we can offer more assistance.

• Attila Polinger Veteran 1,161 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009

Hi,

beside what Peter was saying, please note that VPN connection might result in such a behaviours in which the clients just disappear from, or not showing in, the tree. Please look up articles in VPN topic within McAfee Kb, there are a few things that you can do based on various ePO versions (what a version might allow to do and what another).

Regards:

Attila

• petersimmons McAfee Employee 230 posts since
    Dec 22, 2009

Yep. Some VPNs hand out identical MAC addresses to every single computer that logs in. This can cause ePO to erroneously match every machine based on that. This can be disabled in ePO --- if that's the problem. (Please don't do that until you figure out that is the actual problem)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points