Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
8420 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 7, 2013 3:04 PM by Ex_Brit RSS
stefan27 Newcomer 4 posts since
Feb 27, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 27, 2013 5:05 PM

McAfee Security Center does not start; white square appears instead.

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I simply need to UNINSTALL McAfee and I can not. 

In particular, I want to kill mschield and I want to start up another firewall. (Windows informs me McAfee is managing the firewall)

The mcshield.exe process is running (using 35% of my CPU!) but I cannot stop it even as Administrator.  (Access is denied).  Similarly, I cannot stop the McShield service.

When I try to *start* McAfee, I get the McAfee icon at the bottom of my screen a white box in the middle of my screen. I see other people have run into this symptom too.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, IE9.

I've tried the IERegEdit file but it stops with an error message "2 was unexpected at this time" almost immediately after I "Press any key to continue".

Any words of wisdom out there? 

Thank you.

Stefan

• Nehal Jojo Jacob McAfeeSME 167 posts since
    Feb 4, 2013

This issue is often caused by problems with your Windows operating system. System files depend on one another to provide full functionality. If some of these components fail to register, for example, these interdependencies will fail to function.

Step 1:

If McAfee SecurityCenter displays a blank screen, it might be caused by an incorrect registry key that references jscript. Perform the following steps to download and run the script that fixes this.

1. Click the following link and save the file to your desktop:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/mcscriptfix.zi p
    2. Unzip the file you downloaded and save mcscriptfix.bat to your Desktop.
    3. Right-click mcscriptfix.bat and select Run as Administrator.
    4. Click Yes in the User Account Control box, if prompted.

While this script runs, a black DOS Prompt window will open on your screen.
    5. When you are prompted to Press any key to continue in the DOS Prompt window, click inside the window and press any key.
    6. Restart your computer.

Step 2:

Restarting your computer frequently resolves these types of issues, but deeper troubleshooting might be required. If your issue is resolved, you can stop there. If your issue persists, continue to the next solution.

Verify Java is installed and up-to-date :

Go to control panel - Java - Double-click the Java icon - Click Update Now

If Java is not present, install it from http://www.java.com.

If you find multiple versions of Java installed in control panel ( add or remove programs ) , remove all versions, restart your computer, then install Java again from http://www.java.com.

Restart the computer.

Let me know the outcome. If doesn't help , will help you with further trouble shooting's.

Regards,
    Nehal Jojo Jacob
    Ret. McAfee Tier 2 Support
  • horsesonmars Newcomer 1 posts since
    Mar 8, 2013

I have the same problem and tried the recommended fixes above. Neither of them fixed my problem...

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,556 posts since
    May 6, 2004

Did you try all the various steps in the Technical Support FAQ TS101233:

Namely:

SecurityCenter fails to open, displays a blank white screen, or displays a Java error

Environment

Affected Suites:
    McAfee Total Protection
    McAfee Internet Security Suite
    McAfee AntiVirus Plus

Affected Products:
    SecurityCenter

Affected Operating Systems:
    Microsoft Windows 8
    Microsoft Windows 7
    Microsoft Windows Vista
    Microsoft Windows XP

Problem

McAfee SecurityCenter fails to open, opens to a blank white screen, or you see a Java error. Other applications on your system might have the same issue.

Cause

This issue is often caused by problems with your Windows operating system. System files depend on one another to provide full functionality. If some of these components fail to register, for example, these interdependencies will fail to function.

Solution 1

If McAfee SecurityCenter displays a blank screen, it might be caused by an incorrect registry key that references jscript. Perform the following steps to download and run the script that fixes this.

1. Save any work. The script will ask you to reboot your computer when it completes.
    2. Click the following link and save the file to your desktop:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/mcscriptfix.zi p
    3. Unzip the file you downloaded and save mcscriptfix.bat to your Desktop.
    4. Right-click mcscriptfix.bat and select Run as Administrator.
    5. Click Yes in the User Account Control box, if prompted.

While this script runs, a black DOS Prompt window will open on your screen.
    6. When you are prompted to Press any key to continue in the DOS Prompt window, click inside the window and press any key.
    7. Restart your computer.

Solution 2

Restarting your computer frequently resolves these types of issues, but deeper troubleshooting might be required. Perform each of the following solutions in order, then verify the issue is resolved. If your issue is resolved, you can stop there. If your issue persists, continue to the next solution.

Verify Java is installed and up-to-date

1. Close any open applications and restart your computer.
    2. Click Start and select the Search box.
    3. Type Programs and Features.
    4. Open Programs and Features.
    5. Locate Java in the list of installed programs.

• If Java is listed, click Start and select the Search box.
      • If Java is not present, install it from http://www.java.com.
      • If you find multiple versions of Java installed, remove all versions, restart your computer, then install Java again.

6. Type Control Panel.
    7. Double-click the Java icon.
    8. Click the Update tab.
    9. Click Update Now.

If the update tells you that you have the most current version, close the Java control panel and proceed to the next solution. If the update runs, restart your computer and try opening SecurityCenter again. If you still cannot view the SecurityCenter, proceed to the next solution.

Solution 3

Download and run the McAfee PreInstall Tool

1. Go to http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.e xe, and save the McPreInstall file to your desktop.
    2. Double-click McPreInstall.exe.
    3. Click Start inside the Preinstall Tool.
    4. Read the warning message and click OK to agree to the changes.
    5. After the preinstall tool completes, click OK.
    6. Click Close and restart your computer.

Open SecurityCenter. If you are still unable to see the SecurityCenter screens, continue to the next solution .

Solution 4

Uninstall and reinstall your McAfee Security product using the procedure in article TS101331.

Solution 5

If you still cannot see SecurityCenter screens correctly after completing all of the previous solutions you might have an operating system problem. Perform the following steps and make a note of any errors you receive.

1. Click Start and select the Search box.
    2. Type the following command and press ENTER:

cmd

3. Right-click command and select Open as Administrator.
    4. Type each of the following commands and press ENTER after each one. After each command has run, you will see a success or failure message:

• regsvr32 scrrun.dll
      • regsvr32 jscript.dll
      • regsvr32 vbscript.dll

• Additional for Internet Explorer 9 Users:

regsvr32 jscript9.dll

Open SecurityCenter again.  If you still cannot see the SecurityCenter screens, contact your computer manufacturer with these errors for additional assistance.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
    May 6, 2004

I can give you the registry method but it's extremely long and the last resort.

Just out of curiosity do you get the white box on anything else?

It indicates that something is wrong with IE or it's add-ons.

Try opening  IE9 and go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset, Apply and OK and prompts.

Close and reopen IE and go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable any you need.

See if that enables those windows to appear.

If it fails then I will post the registry removal method.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 09/03/13 10:57:41 EST AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    May 6, 2004

To anyone reading this, the white box issue has long since been cured as mentioned earlier.

To remove McAfee do it the normal way via Control Panel > Programs .

Then if necessary run the MCPR cleanup tool.  A reboot will be necessary once it completes.

Only if remnants still remain should any registry cleanup be attempted as follows:

Go to Start/Run and enter regedit  and click OK.  In Windows 8 it's easiest just to click the Windows key + R simultaneously.

A  page  should open with the top left hand corner looking something like this:

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-145517-8112/285-187/Regedit.jpg

if for some   reason it's expanded, collapse it and then highlight My Computer   (Computer in Vista/Windows 7/8).

Go to File tab and click "Export" and send all of the   registry to your desktop. This is in case something goes wrong. It can   then be rebuilt by simply right-clicking that desktop item and selecting Merge.

Now click   the Edit tab and then "Find". Enter "McAfee" (minus the "") then click   "Find next" (or hit the enter key).

Whatever is found, right-click and  delete.

Hit  your F3 key for the next instance and keep going until all entries are gone.   It can take a long time if a lot of McAfee components were originally installed and the MCPR removal tool (Useful Links at top of this page) didn't work for some reason.

If one says it can't be deleted this is where it gets complicated. You have to then find which key on the left column pertains to it and   right-click/Properties/Permissions and give yourself permission.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/08/13 4:27:00 EDT PM

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend