3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 12:32 PM by ltaitt

Why use EETech WinPE when the Standalone seems to do it all?

Hi,

Being new to EEPC, I was wondering why use EETech WinPE when it seems that the Standalone version does the same thing?  Actually, it does more, the Standalone can do an Emergency boot that the WinPE verson can't do.  What should I have in my tool kit for recovery purposes?

BTW, I'm using EEPC 6.2.1

Larry

• 1. Re: Why use EETech WinPE when the Standalone seems to do it all?
          alexn

Hi I would like to explain something about EEtech

Recovery of EEPC systems, which have an error which that makes self or administrative recovery of the system impossible.These are the examples of reasons why rescue might be necessary: Boot File System (PBFS) has become corrupted, preventing authentication in the normal fashion.

• A third party defragmentation tool has been used without suitable exclusions being set, which has moved the PBFS host file, despite the OS locking the file. The PBFS is no longer available to allow authentication to occur in a normal fashion.

• A rootkit has infected the MBR of the system.

• EETech (Standalone) for software encryption on BIOS based systems

• EEOpalTech (Standalone) for Opal encryption on BIOS based systems

• EETech (UEFI) for software and Opal encryption on UEFI based systems

On UEFI systems, SecureBoot should be disabled in order to use EETech.

These rudimentary tools are provided for performing only emergency boot from floppy, CD, or USB stick.

• EEBoot for software encryption on BIOS based systems

• EEOpalBoot for Opal encryption on BIOS based systems

Functionality is similar between EETech and EEOpalTech.

Regds,

Alex

on 2/26/13 7:02:40 PM CST
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why use EETech WinPE when the Standalone seems to do it all?

The WinPE version is many times faster than the stand alone version, and also allows you to access the encrypted hard disk and either fix windows problems, or copy user data off before reimaging. You can also run other (any) windows tools as well, and access the network.

The stand alone version just allows you to fix eepc issues and decrypt, nothing more.

• 3. Re: Why use EETech WinPE when the Standalone seems to do it all?

Thanks for the answer.  Makes a lot of sense.  So it looks like I need all the different types of EETech to cover all the bases in my environment, except for Opal (don't have any of those, yet).

Naturally, after I posted the question, I happened to download the documents for v7.0, being curious as to the new features, and discovered in the EETech guide a handy-dandy table listing the features and functions of the different types of EETech.  Too bad it wasn't in the v6.2 guide.

Thanks.