Hey guys, new to the forums but i hope you can point out something i'm over looking.
I'm trying to get windows 8 working with the EEPC 7.0 on Epo 4.6.4 server. The windows 8 machine is checking into the server, but not downloading the packages that are setup for deployment. Just to make sure it wasn't the server, I setup a few windows 7 machines and they download the packages with no problem. I've checked the Enviromental Requirements listed by McAfee and i'm still not getting it to work.
Can someone point me in the right direction?
First check this Registry key in your machine.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Application Plugins\EPOAGENT3000
If missing redeploy your agent. if present try this.
Be sure that you are using MA 4.6 for windows 8.
#Can you try this on your windows 8 machine.
1) Stop the framework service
2) Delete the following files from the agent data folder:
3) Start the framework service again
4) Send a wakeup call to the machine
Confirmed i am running MA 18.104.22.16822. What you mentioned made me confirm this is happening on both 32 and 64 bit windows 8. Only the serverDefault.xml was present in agent data folder. I removed the file and restarted the service to no avail.
I have noticed that everytime it checks into the server, it's reporting "New Site Listfile was received".
no other security products are installed. Working with a fresh install of windows 8. No antivirus, no firewalls, no anti-malware. Are there any logs that i can provide that would be of any help?
1.Disable UAC on windows 8.
2 Stop.McAfee frame work service
3.Assgin Everyone to Full control to the folder 'Common framework' (\Documents and settings\All Users\Application data\McAfee\),
4. start the framework service and initiate ASCI.
5.UPgrade your agent extension asw ell in ePO.
6.Also let me know what Package are there in MR which are not being downloaded.
Please make sure that you have the latest version of the agent checked in, which I think you have, and - most important - that you have checked in the latest agent extension. The extension tells ePO which platforms are supported, so it may be that an older extension is not recognising Win8 as a supported OS.
you hit the nail on the head Joe. there was a slight version difference on the epo agent extsion that i didn't notice before. I upgraded from 22.214.171.1245 to 126.96.36.1995 and everything started working correctly.