0 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2013 12:15 PM by rmodiset

ICE MoneyPac Ransomeware

rmodiset

Hi All,

Just got hit with what I guess is a variant of the FBI MoneyPac scam. This one says ICE instead of FBI and there is a countdown timer giving me 48 hours to come up with $400 before it wipes out my pc. This is actually my inlaws WinXP machine so when they called I said "No problem, I know how to fix that".

Safemode with networking didn't work. I tried 4 or 5 boot disk scanners. No luck. Now I'm getting %$#@$#@

So I stick in the windows repair disk and kick it off. It starts out fine and then gets to the Drivers part and askes for a cd - No mouse No keyboard

Tried again - Got stuck in the same place. Now I start to panic, well not panic, just give up and format the drive.

Booted off UBCD one last time and was browsing for files to keep and noticed an autorun.inf file in Program Files\Hp\HP Digital Assistant\big long number\setup\temp.

Then I saved a copy and deleted it. Then I did a 'find / -name autorun.inf -ls' and found another one. Same file but also had this picture in the folder with it:

splash_photo.bmp

I was able to repair windows after deleting the two inf files.

I'm just wondering who that is in the picture. Anybody you know?