1 of 1 people found this helpful
Have you by any chance been using Registry Cleaners lately or used any sort of cleanup tool?
I trust that this is Windows 7 SP1 and fully updated?
To repair jscript try the following steps from the 2nd to last line in my signature belows - I'll copy the whole thing here but usually step 1 will do the trick.
McAfee Total Protection
McAfee Internet Security Suite
McAfee AntiVirus Plus
Affected Operating Systems:
Microsoft Windows 8
Microsoft Windows 7
Microsoft Windows Vista
Microsoft Windows XP
McAfee SecurityCenter fails to open, opens to a blank white screen, or you see a Java error. Other applications on your system might have the same issue.
This issue is often caused by problems with your Windows operating system. System files depend on one another to provide full functionality. If some of these components fail to register, for example, these interdependencies will fail to function.
If McAfee SecurityCenter displays a blank screen, it might be caused by an incorrect registry key that references jscript. Perform the following steps to download and run the script that fixes this.
- Save any work. The script will ask you to reboot your computer when it completes.
- Click the following link and save the file to your desktop:
- Unzip the file you downloaded and save mcscriptfix.bat to your Desktop.
- Right-click mcscriptfix.bat and select Run as Administrator.
- Click Yes in the User Account Control box, if prompted.
While this script runs, a black DOS Prompt window will open on your screen.
- When you are prompted to Press any key to continue in the DOS Prompt window, click inside the window and press any key.
- Restart your computer.
Restarting your computer frequently resolves these types of issues, but deeper troubleshooting might be required. Perform each of the following solutions in order, then verify the issue is resolved. If your issue is resolved, you can stop there. If your issue persists, continue to the next solution.
Verify Java is installed and up-to-date
- Close any open applications and restart your computer.
- Click Start and select the Search box.
- Type Programs and Features.
- Open Programs and Features.
- Locate Java in the list of installed programs.
- If Java is listed, click Start and select the Search box.
- If Java is not present, install it from http://www.java.com.
- If you find multiple versions of Java installed, remove all versions, restart your computer, then install Java again.
- Type Control Panel.
- Double-click the Java icon.
- Click the Update tab.
- Click Update Now.
If the update tells you that you have the most current version, close the Java control panel and proceed to the next solution. If the update runs, restart your computer and try opening SecurityCenter again. If you still cannot view the SecurityCenter, proceed to the next solution.
Download and run the McAfee PreInstall Tool
- Go to http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.e xe, and save the McPreInstall file to your desktop.
- Double-click McPreInstall.exe.
- Click Start inside the Preinstall Tool.
- Read the warning message and click OK to agree to the changes.
- After the preinstall tool completes, click OK.
- Click Close and restart your computer.
Open SecurityCenter. If you are still unable to see the SecurityCenter screens, continue to the next solution .
Uninstall and reinstall your McAfee Security product using the procedure in article TS101331.
If you still cannot see SecurityCenter screens correctly after completing all of the previous solutions you might have an operating system problem. Perform the following steps and make a note of any errors you receive.
- Click Start and select the Search box.
- Type the following command and press ENTER:
- Right-click command and select Open as Administrator.
- Type each of the following commands and press ENTER after each one. After each command has run, you will see a success or failure message:
- regsvr32 scrrun.dll
- regsvr32 jscript.dll
- regsvr32 vbscript.dll
- Additional for Internet Explorer 9 Users:
Open SecurityCenter again. If you still cannot see the SecurityCenter screens, contact Technical Support with these errors for additional assistance.
If that fails to help then uninstall McAfee altogether fromn Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program
Then rin the MCPR cleanup tool: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
Reboot and reinstall from your online account.
yes it is Windows 7 home premium SP1.
I have tried all except uninstalling and reinstalling the whole product because last time I tried that the first McAfee page was also blank and I had to get a fix for that. I think you may be right re: the cmd operating problem. The first two (regsvr32 scrrun.dll and regsvr32 jscript.dll) give me an error message 0x80004005. vbscript.dll succeeded with no error.
Of course the internet gives me several links to go for a fix for this, but I am concerned I may accidently download something that is malicious and end up with more problems! I have spent some time in Windows home site trying to pin it down but I find myself going in circles so will give that up as a bad job.
Many thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
If the above doesn't help then contact Technical Support by phone or online chat - it's free and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.
Disable the User Account Control using the following link and restart the machine. Check the issue and update your result