Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
864 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 22, 2013 9:56 AM by rmetzger RSS
pollewops Newcomer 30 posts since
Nov 17, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 22, 2013 9:45 AM

Agent 4.6 and VirusScan 8.8 caused slow AutoCAD pc

I have an EPO 4.6.5 environment which pushed agent 4.6 and scanner 8.8 patch 2 to my Windos 7 x64 clients.

The AutoCAD pc´s (quad core and 12GB memory) are not function anymore when the weekly scanner kicks in.

Are there recommendations for McAfee and AutoCAD pc´s ? Whoich files or extension I need to exclude form the online and access scanner.

EDIT currebtly my machine does not have a McAfee scanner running, and now Autocard started, but still 30% is used on 4 cpu's on the McShield process.....

Message was edited by: pollewops on 2/22/13 4:45:00 PM GMT+01:00
  • rmetzger Champion 567 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005

Hi pollewops,

pollewops wrote:

I have an EPO 4.6.5 environment which pushed agent 4.6 and scanner 8.8 patch 2 to my Windos 7 x64 clients.

The AutoCAD pc´s (quad core and 12GB memory) are not function anymore when the weekly scanner kicks in.

I encountered problems at a customer site who had a large number of .dwg (AutoCAD) files. Every time Explorer or pretty much any non-console access to these directories occurred, the system would slow down drastically. With several thousand in a single directory, the system would seem to crash to the end-user, and sometimes would restart the PC in order to regain control.

My research to this found that AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT checks 'signatures' of every .dwg when it accesses the directory containing these files. Access is fast if the number is small, but when the number of .dwg files grows, the access times grow exponentially.

Apparently, AutoCAD hooks Explorer and can cause these severe performance penalties.

The solution is to turn off the Signature checking AutoCAD does:

Disable the Digital Signature Icon (AutoCAD users)
    1. Locate a drawing file in Windows Explorer
    2. Right-click on the drawing and select "Enable/Disable Digital Signature Icons"
    enable_disable_digital_signature

3. Uncheck the box in the middle of the dialog box and click OK.
    4. Restart the computer and you should be able to access the directory much faster now.

Disable the Digital Signature Icon (AutoCAD LT users)
    LT users must do this manually: Browse for the file called "AcSignOpt.exe" with should be located in either the "%SystemRoot%\System32" or "%SystemRoot%\Sysnative" directory based on the operating system you are using.

1. Locate the AcSignOpt.exe file on your machine
    2. Double-click on the file to run it
    3. Uncheck the box in the middle of the dialog box and click OK.
    4. Restart the computer and you should be able to access the directory much faster now.

So, if this is a performance issue, as it was for my clients, this made a Huge difference.

pollewops wrote:

Are there recommendations for McAfee and AutoCAD pc´s ? Whoich files or extension I need to exclude form the online and access scanner.

I made no changes to my clients 'Exclusions' to regain performance.

I hope this is helpful.

Ron Metzger

Message was edited by: rmetzger on 2/22/13 10:57:34 AM EST

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points