6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2016 2:10 AM by redfredg

Invisible Text in EETech WinPE

steph4n

Hello,

I created a bootable iso based on WinPE V3 x86 discribed in this Guide:

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/ 24000/PD24204/en_US/eepc_700_eetech_user_guide_en-us.pdf

I followed evers step precisly, however if I start EETech it looks like this:

Windows 7 x64-2013-02-22-09-23-22.png

A few months ago I did the same with V6.2 and got the same result.

What am I doing wrong here?

• 1. Re: Invisible Text in EETech WinPE
          Reiner

Please check if KB75734 helps

• 2. Re: Invisible Text in EETech WinPE
            steph4n

Hence I'm using a german OS and installed the german version of Windows AIK this is probably the case.

I'm downloading the english version right now and will test it.

Thank you very much.

• 3. Re: Invisible Text in EETech WinPE
              steph4n

I have another question which I just put here.

I want to be able connect an encrypted disk to my PC and be able to access the files and also want to decrypt it.

First I copied the WinPE files in my 'program files' folder.

I got the same issue with the text not showing (german OS), but managed to solve it with editing the 'Locale.xml' by replacing the language code from 0409 to 0407.

After that I got an error like 'device driver not found'. I copied the sys-files to \windows\system32\drivers and created the keys in the registry like in the McAfee instruction.

Now I receive Error EE020006 - Endpoint Encryption disk information not present, when I click on Token under Authentication.

What am I missing here? Is it even possible so run EETech on Windows? I didn't find a proper guide for this task.

Or is it because the encrypted disk is connected via USB?

• 4. Re: Invisible Text in EETech WinPE

You forgot to set the correct drive number, so EEtech was trying to find the pre-boot information on drive 0, not the slave drive.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Invisible Text in EETech WinPE
                  steph4n

Didn't thought about that. Makes sense. Works. Thanks!

• 6. Re: Invisible Text in EETech WinPE
                    redfredg

I add McAfee support to my PE boot images on the fly every time I create them using an UpdateExit script, located in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Samples folder.

The safeboot.sys and SbAlg.sys files go in \Extra\x86\Windows\System32\Drivers and \Extra\x64\Windows\System32\Drivers , the SBWinPE.reg file goes in \Scripts. The UpdateExit script runs every time you rebuild your boot wims, imports the PE registry and modifies it, so you don't need to mount and edit the wims manually.

' // ***************************************************************************
                    ' //
                    ' // Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.
                    ' //
                    ' // Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Solution Accelerator
                    ' //
                    ' // File:      UpdateExit.vbs
                    ' //
                    ' // Version:   <VERSION>
                    ' //
                    ' // Purpose:   Sample "Update Deployment Share" exit script
                    ' //
                    ' // ***************************************************************************

Option Explicit

Dim oShell, oEnv

' Write out each of the passed-in environment variable values

Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
                    Set oEnv = oShell.Environment("PROCESS")

WScript.Echo "INSTALLDIR = " & oEnv("INSTALLDIR")
                    WScript.Echo "DEPLOYROOT = " & oEnv("DEPLOYROOT")
                    WScript.Echo "PLATFORM = " & oEnv("PLATFORM")
                    WScript.Echo "ARCHITECTURE = " & oEnv("ARCHITECTURE")
                    WScript.Echo "TEMPLATE = " & oEnv("TEMPLATE")
                    WScript.Echo "STAGE = " & oEnv("STAGE")
                    WScript.Echo "CONTENT = " & oEnv("CONTENT")

' Do any desired WIM customizations (right before the WIM changes are committed)

If oEnv("STAGE") = "WIM" Then

' CONTENT environment variable contains the path to the mounted WIM

Dim sCmd, rc, strLog, fso, filetxt

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
                    Set filetxt = fso.CreateTextFile(oEnv("DEPLOYROOT") & "\boot\UpdateExitLog_" & oEnv("ARCHITECTURE") & ".txt", True)

strLog = strLog & "---- Beginning UpdateExit.vbs WIM section ----" & vbCrLf
                         strLog = strLog &  "Adding Safeboot Registry keys to WinPE (UpdateExit.vbs)..." & VbCrLf

'Load SYSTEM registry hive from mounted WinPE WIM (path to CONTENT)
                         sCmd = "Reg load HKLM\winpe " & oEnv("CONTENT") & "\Windows\System32\config\SYSTEM"
                         strLog = strLog &  "About to run command: " & sCmd & VbCrLf
                         rc = oShell.Run(sCmd, 1, True)
                         strLog = strLog &  "REG LOAD rc = " & rc & VbCrLf

sCmd = "Reg add HKLM\winpe\ControlSet001\services\Safeboot /f"
                         strLog = strLog &  "REG add rc = " & rc & VbCrLf

sCmd = "Reg add HKLM\winpe\ControlSet001\services\SBAlg /f"

sCmd = "Reg add HKLM\winpe\ControlSet001\services\MfeEpePc /f"

sCmd = "Reg add HKLM\winpe\ControlSet001\services\MfeEEAlg /f"

sCmd = "Reg import " & oEnv("DEPLOYROOT") & "\Scripts\SBWinPE.reg"
                         strLog = strLog &  "REG import rc = " & rc & VbCrLf

sCmd = "Reg unload HKLM\winpe"
                         strLog = strLog &  "REG unload rc = " & rc & VbCrLf

filetxt.Write(strLog)
                         filetxt.Close

End If

' Do any desired ISO customizations (right before a new ISO is captured)

If oEnv("STAGE") = "ISO" then

' CONTENT environment variable contains the path to the directory that
                         ' will be used to create the ISO.

End if

' Do any steps needed after the ISO has been generated

If oEnv("STAGE") = "POSTISO" then

' CONTENT environment variable contains the path to the locally-captured
                             ' ISO file (after it has been copied to the network).

End if

Thanks !!