3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2013 2:39 AM by david.rougier RSS

Allowing communication between website and Gmail SMTP server

david.rougier

Hi everyone,

I am developping an ASP .Net website.

My website contains code to send an email by contacting the Gmail SMTP server.

I have got VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0i installed on my computer.

I can connect to the Gmail SMTP server if I turn off the VirusScan task named "Protection during access" (this is a translation from French to English).

I do not want to turn off the task permanently.

So I want to know how to create a rule allowing communication between my website and the Gmail SMTP server.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

• 1. Re: Allowing communication between website and Gmail SMTP server
          rmetzger

Hi David,

david.rougier wrote:

Hi everyone,

I am developping an ASP .Net website.

My website contains code to send an email by contacting the Gmail SMTP server.

I have got VirusScan Enterprise 8.7.0i installed on my computer.

I can connect to the Gmail SMTP server if I turn off the VirusScan task named "Protection during access" (this is a translation from French to English).

I do not want to turn off the task permanently.

So I want to know how to create a rule allowing communication between my website and the Gmail SMTP server.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

This sounds like a problem with the 'Prevent mass mailing worms from sending email' rule. This rule is meant to prevent malware from taking control of your PC, using it to spam the world. A list of commonly used email clients are already created within this rule, which handles most cases.

I am not sure what program you are using, but you might want to include it in the existing list.

You can find this rule here:

'VirusScan Console' >

'Access Protection' Properties >

'Access Protection' Tab >

'Anti-virus standard protection' >

Edit "Prevent mass mailing worms from sending email" >

'Processes to exclude:'

Add your .exe or program that is attempting to access the SMTP server and click OK.

If you cannot click OK, you may need to make this change here:

'VirusScan Console' >

'Access Protection' Properties >

'Access Protection' Tab >

'User-defined Rules' >

Edit "Prevent mass mailing worms from sending email" >

'Processes to exclude:'

Add your .exe or program that is attempting to access the SMTP server and click OK.

If you are using ePO, then make the appropriate changes from the ePO console.

Hope this helps,

Ron Metzger

Message was edited by: rmetzger on 2/20/13 11:39:49 AM EST

Message was edited by: rmetzger on 2/20/13 11:40:08 AM EST
          • 2. Re: Allowing communication between website and Gmail SMTP server
            alexn

Yes, To identify process which is being blocked by this rule, right click Access Protection and view log, last few lines will tell you 1.Rule which is blocking and process which is blocked.

Add exclusion as rmetzger described.

on 2/20/13 11:55:09 AM CST
            • 3. Re: Allowing communication between website and Gmail SMTP server
              david.rougier

I thank you for your answers.

I have tried to send a mail via my development website before specifying a process to exclude.

Then I have checked the access protection log file and I have found the following log (Translation from French to English) :

21/02/2013          09:23:02          Blocked by a port blocking rule           C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DevServer\10.0\WebDev.WebServer40.exe          Antivirus standard protection:Prevent mass mailing worms from sending email          173.194.78.108:587

587 is the Gmail SMTP port number.

WebDev.WebServer40.exe is the development application server used by Visual Studio 2010.

I develop and execute my website in Visual Studio 2010.

I have added WebDev.WebServer40.exe into the list of processes to exclude for the rule "Access Protection | Prevent mass mailing worms from sending email".

Now my website can communicate with the Gmail SMTP server.

Thanks again.