3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2013 2:03 PM by Nehal Jojo Jacob

please help - can´t install/uninstall or use McAfee any more

Please give me advise how to proceed.

Quick story:

Suddenly I was not able to open McAfee Security Center any more.

--> Unistalled it

--> but later attempts to reinstall it failed

Tryed with MCPR and MCpreinstall many many times, but still always get the message: Installation incomplete

Virtual Technician says several files are missing and can`t solve it

--> Tried to get the required files from other PC`s we have here running McAfee, but they are missing them also, even though McAfee is working perfectly fine

--> so i copied the whole McAfee from one of the PC's and I´m stuck now with a McAfee that seems to try to open Security Center but it shows only a blank box

--> tried mcskriptfix and mcscriptfix + preinstall but nothing happened... but don`t concentrate on that! - please help me get a fresh and functioning new installation

I think probably the unclean uninstallation causes the problems with reinstalling it, because even after MCPR and MCpreinstall some McAfee services remain running and can´t be shut down.

You can find the Virtual Technician protocol attached.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• 1. Re: please help - can´t install/uninstall or use McAfee any more

Dear McAfee customer,

If yo are facing an issue with McAfee white screen ; there is no need to uninstall and reinstall it. After all normall uninstall from control panel won't work in this case. We need MCPR ( McAfee consumer Product removal tool ) for this ; which i showed below .

MCPR -  http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Do not uninstall McAfee. Please go with below step's ;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

McAfee white screen - This issue is often caused by problems with your Windows operating system. System files depend on one another to provide full functionality. If some of these components fail to register, for example, these interdependencies will fail to function.

Requesting you to try below step's to fix the McAfee white screen ;

Step 1 :

If McAfee SecurityCenter displays a blank screen, it might be caused by an incorrect registry key that references jscript. Perform the following steps to download and run the script that fixes this.

1. Save any work. The script will ask you to reboot your computer when it completes.
          2. Click the following link and save the file to your desktop:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/mcscriptfix.zi p
          3. Unzip the file you downloaded and save mcscriptfix.bat to your Desktop.
          4. Right-click mcscriptfix.bat and select Run as Administrator.
          5. Click Yes in the User Account Control box, if prompted.

While this script runs, a black DOS Prompt window will open on your screen.
          6. When you are prompted to Press any key to continue in the DOS Prompt window, click inside the window and press any key.
          7. Restart your computer.

step 2 :

Restarting your computer frequently resolves these types of issues, but deeper troubleshooting might be required. Perform each of the following solutions in order, then verify the issue is resolved. If your issue is resolved, you can stop there. If your issue persists, continue to the next solution.

Verify Java is installed and up-to-date

1. Close any open applications and restart your computer.
          2. Click Start and select the Search box.
          3. Type Programs and Features.
          4. Open Programs and Features.
          5. Locate Java in the list of installed programs.

• If Java is listed, click Start and select the Search box.
            • If Java is not present, install it from http://www.java.com.
            • If you find multiple versions of Java installed, remove all versions, restart your computer, then install Java again.
          6. Type Control Panel.
          7. Double-click the Java icon.
          8. Click the Update tab.
          9. Click Update Now.

If the update tells you that you have the most current version, close the Java control panel and proceed to the next solution. If the update runs, restart your computer and try opening SecurityCenter again. If you still cannot view the SecurityCenter, proceed to the next solution.

IF ABOVE TROUBLE SHOOTING FAILED TO FIX THE ISSUE .THEN I'M 100% SURE THAT BELOW STEP WILL FIX THE ISSUE.

step 3:

I hope you are using internet explorer version 9 . Please uninstall version 9 from control panel - add or remove programs - view installed update's ---- From here , Please uninstall IE 9 . Restart the computer. After restart IE would be version 8 and you can double click on McAfee icon from the desk top and the issue will get resolved.

If you are facing an issue with Installation incomplete , let me know.. I can give you trouble shooting step's which will resolve the issue.

Regard's

Nehal Jojo Jacob

• 2. Re: please help - can´t install/uninstall or use McAfee any more

Thank you for your fast reply!

Unfortunately after applying all 3 steps nothing changed.

I would be glad if you could provide me with a guidline to get a fresh new install of McAfee, where I can apply those steps again if necessary, because the current mix of files I´m working with might not be very suitable.

Please take into account that I already tried to do a fresh installation using MCPR and Mcpreinstall and always received installation incomplete message.

Kind regards

Thomas

• 3. Re: please help - can´t install/uninstall or use McAfee any more

Dear McAfee customer,

We can fix the issue with the error Installation incomplete . But , the trouble shooting is little bit hard ;

Installation Incomplete - This issue is caused when the installed version of C++ Runtime (CRT) on the customer's system is corrupted in some way (malicious or not), or our installation of CRT failed.

I wish to provide you the trouble shooting step's here. But it's too risky and may other customer's also try and may it leads to many issue. so , just visit service.mcafee.com and please work with a McAfee tech and they will fix the issue within 15 minutes.

Regard's

Nehal Jojo Jacob