4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2013 10:59 PM by chumde7

McAfee internet security does nothing when clicking on 'scan'

Hello all!

Thanks for reading this thread. I am new to the forums and made an account to ask this specific question. I am fixing up my grandma's pc, as it was very slow and Windows XP had some minor problems. She has McAfee Internet Security installed. When I want to preform a scan, I click on 'full scan', but it doesn't seem to do anything. In services.msc I can see that the 'McAfee scanner' service is not running. Even when I start that service, the program will not scan the computer. This is probably not normal. I disabled the 'wait with starting planned tasks until my computer is inactive' setting. Please help me!

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards from the Netherlands!

• 1. Re: McAfee internet security does nothing when clicking on 'scan'
          exbrit

Is this XP SP3 and up to date with Microsoft Updates?

Also can you check if IE8 is installed (it should be) - reason I ask is that McAfee relies on an up to date IE regardless of default browser, and set to its default settings.

Also please open SecurityCenter and click 'About' and tell me what version of SecurityCenter and VirusScan are installed.

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes anything:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

• 2. Re: McAfee internet security does nothing when clicking on 'scan'

Thanks for the fast response!

Yes it is Windows XP SP 3, already installed important updates, now also some of the optional ones.

Internet Explorer 8 is installed (version: 8.0.6001.18702)

McAfee SecurityCenter:

Version: 11.6

Build: 11.6.477

Affld: 709

Language: Dutch

Last update: 16-2-2013

McAfee VirusScan:

Version: 15.6

Build: 15.6.238

Last update: 18-2-2013

DAT-version: 6989

DAT-date of creation (or however it will be called in the English version): 17-2-2013

Date of creation bootup-DAT: 11-2-2013

Engineversion: 5500.1093

Virtual Technician results:

1 Problem found

Clicked on 'AutoFix (recommended)'

While busy it said 'Updating DAT'

Results: All problems are resolved

VirusScan - McAfee Internet Secuirity 3-User 15.6.238

Pending: DAT outdated

Thanks in advance!

on 2/18/13 1:01:02 PM CST
            • 3. Re: McAfee internet security does nothing when clicking on 'scan'
              exbrit

Well that seems all OK.   Maybe it's become corrupted somehow.   Not sure what to advise other than uninstall, run the MCPR cleanup as listed under Useful Links at the top of the page, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

Or, contact Technical Support.  Also linked under Useful Links.  It's free by phone or online chat.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/02/13 3:02:14 EST PM
              • 4. Re: McAfee internet security does nothing when clicking on 'scan'
                chumde7

You can also try running the McAfee update. If any mcafee files are corrupted, it will download and re-install the files.