3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2013 12:10 PM by Peter M

Problems with McAfee Total

I have McAfee Total Protection installed on my Sony VAIO Duo 11 Notebook (Windows 8 Pro 64-bit).

I found a lot of disadvantages of this product.

1. I can’t found way to unblock authorized application. I use now PC Tools Performance Toolkit which I used successfully a lot of year. When I try to perform Registry defragmentation PC Tools says me that “Operation failed”. Due to assistance of PC Tools Support and Log files analysis we were found that McAfee Total Protection blocked PC Tools application. How can I unblock desired apps?
      2. McAfee Help Window for Win8 is too small. It has no any ability to increase or expand size. On Full HD my Notebook display McAfee Help readability is awful (if need I can offer screenshot).
      3. I can’t even expand main McAfee Total Protection to full screen or manually – with mouse action. What - McAfee developed his app relied on old VGA-displays?
      4. Else on interesting Question. I see that McAfee Total Protection has embedded own system files protection algorithm – in case if other app intend to change them. But it doesn’t work :). When I installed this utility – see link http://my-ssd.ru/st/HDD_Life_Pro after install it blocked McAfee Updates. I tried to first repair McAfee with your MVTInstaller.exe (http://service.mcafee.com/MVT.aspx?MVT=1&&lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1  McAfee Virtual Technician repair tool) but it said than it can’t help. I even tried to uninstall and reinstall McAfee Total Protection. But setup confessed that it can’t start any own services. It was awful! Is McAfee has really weak self-protection? (Sorry for my emotions). Very thanks’ for Paragon Drive Backup and it ability to restore previously saved partition image.
      5. Why in the main window Update McAfee program say that next update will be in 8.40 pm in spite of current time is 10.10 pm and I have a several manually updates in this time period?

I’m very hope to get answers for my questions.

• 1. Re: Problems with McAfee Total
          Peter M

dimka_l wrote:

I have McAfee Total Protection installed on my Sony VAIO Duo 11 Notebook (Windows 8 Pro 64-bit).

I found a lot of disadvantages of this product.

1. I can’t found way to unblock authorized application. I use now PC Tools Performance Toolkit which I used successfully a lot of year. When I try to perform Registry defragmentation PC Tools says me that “Operation failed”. Due to assistance of PC Tools Support and Log files analysis we were found that McAfee Total Protection blocked PC Tools application. How can I unblock desired apps?
          2. McAfee Help Window for Win8 is too small. It has no any ability to increase or expand size. On Full HD my Notebook display McAfee Help readability is awful (if need I can offer screenshot).
          3. I can’t even expand main McAfee Total Protection to full screen or manually – with mouse action. What - McAfee developed his app relied on old VGA-displays?
          4. Else on interesting Question. I see that McAfee Total Protection has embedded own system files protection algorithm – in case if other app intend to change them. But it doesn’t work :). When I installed this utility – see link http://my-ssd.ru/st/HDD_Life_Pro after install it blocked McAfee Updates. I tried to first repair McAfee with your MVTInstaller.exe (http://service.mcafee.com/MVT.aspx?MVT=1&&lc=1033&sg=TS&pt=1  McAfee Virtual Technician repair tool) but it said than it can’t help. I even tried to uninstall and reinstall McAfee Total Protection. But setup confessed that it can’t start any own services. It was awful! Is McAfee has really weak self-protection? (Sorry for my emotions). Very thanks’ for Paragon Drive Backup and it ability to restore previously saved partition image.
          5. Why in the main window Update McAfee program say that next update will be in 8.40 pm in spite of current time is 10.10 pm and I have a several manually updates in this time period?

I’m very hope to get answers for my questions.

1.  Open SecurityCenter.  Click Web and Email Protection, click Firewall, click Internet Connections for Programs (this takes a while to load - click the word 'Program' at top of list to rearrange them alphabetically), locate PC Tools and using Edit button if necessary, ensure it has full permission plus experiment with turning off Netguard to see if PC Tools will work.    I will add at this point that PC Tools has had issues with McAfee software in the past.  Technical Support may be best to help with this.

2.  Your software will eventually upgrade to version 12.x which is redesigned for use with Windows 8 and touch screens.  This may improve its viewability.

3.  See #2.

4. Check with Technical Support on this one as it's a complicated issue, beyond our capacity in these forums.   It's a free phone call or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

5.  That means the software will check for updates then but I agree, the time seems incorrect.  Again Technical Support will help with that.

• 2. Re: Problems with McAfee Total

Thanks' for valuable help. Really this forum is the only Help for Russian McAfee customers because web-email dont' work, web Live Chat don't work. There is no happens when you try to click Submit button after correct fill all lines. I don't know who is  "enemy" :). But this forum really works.

Dear Ex_Brit, unfortunately your advise don't work. It seems for me that there is mystick incompatibility between PC Tools and McAfee. And I have guess who is outsider ). I have tested PC Tools in vary Win8 Systems with other Antivirus apps instaled - such as Symantec Norton or Russian Kaspersky Lab. Excellent compatibility! And with Win8 common compatibility and in perticulal PC Tools  compatibility with particular Antivirus apps. Most of them (other Antivirus apps) have an convinient user friendly interface - for example how dummy can unblck needed app, full screen and very readable Help in Win8 etc. And of course theese Antivirus apps have excellent Internationl support - instantenious and independend of language and country.\

I'm very wonder. I like McAfee because their defence algotithm is very strong and reliable. But I don't likre their customer support.

I'm go to investigate and resolve theese problems.

Sorry for my bad English...

• 3. Re: Problems with McAfee Total
              Peter M

I quite understand, your English is fine.  PC Tools contains antivirus, therefore it would always be incompatible.   I can't say that the current version is the same as I've never tried it.   Also their registry cleaner is not recommended.

You can obtain Russian speaking support by phone here:  8 10 800 221 01044