3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2013 4:55 AM by skarnad

Mcafee Server IP address change

Hi,

I want to move my Mcafee server from one location to another, i would be keeping the same hostname of the server but would like to change the IP address of it. Post changing the IP address will all my client machine communicate with my Mcafee server. If not what needs to be done to get it achieved. If changing the IP address of the server works then how will we identify that the new IP address of the server has been replicated on the client machines.

Present version of my Mcafee is 4.6 with patch 3 and VSE is 8.8 sp3.

Regards,

Suprith

• 1. Re: Mcafee Server IP address change
          alexn

Hi Skarnad,

The computers with an existing agent installed will attempt to connect back to the ePO server using the following order:

1. IP address

2. DNS / FQFN

3. Netbios

If changing the IP address of the server works then how will we identify that the new IP address of the server has been replicated on the client machines?

The agent will attempt to connect to the ePO server 6 times for each order entry specified above, until it successfully connects to the server. Once a successful connection is made, the agent will download an updated SiteList.xml file and connect successfully thereafter using the new IP address.

Regards.

Alex

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mcafee Server IP address change

will check in my UAT environment and get back to you. Thanks for the reply.

• 3. Re: Mcafee Server IP address change

Hi Alex,

i tested the above in my UAT environment and found that after changing the IP address of teh EPO server the communication between the client and server  is working properly but when i checked the sitelist.xml change i found the old IP address mentiond in it, the change was not reflected in this xml file. I guess the communication is happening via hostname so if i change the hostname then i guess the communication will stop. Can you let me know if iam missing something.

I checked the sitelist.xml in program data -->Mcafee -->commonframework (for 2008 R2 client machine).

Regards

Suprith