Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
3042 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2013 3:45 PM by alexn RSS 1 2 Previous Next
rmrme Newcomer 7 posts since
Feb 15, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 15, 2013 4:32 AM

VSE 8.8 issue with Visual Studio 2012

Hello,

We’ve just deployed McAfee VirusScan Enterprise v8.8 to allour client machines.  Our developers are now running into an issue when trying to run a debug session in Visual Studio2012.

When starting a debug session on Visual Studio 2012 for aproject that has the start-up project Platform Target setting as ‘Any CPU’, anerror message appears stating that the MSMVMon.exe can’t be started andtherefore the debug session can’t start.  If the Platform Target setting is x86 it doesstart and the debug session runs successfully.

If I disable McAfee Access Protection and On-Access Scanner,the debug session runs – therefore, I’m positive that it’s McAfee that’scausing the problem.

The McAfee clients are managed centrally, via the McAfeeePO. I’ve configured the applicable policies so that the following processes used by Visual Studio 2012 - msvsmon.exe, devenv.exe and msbuild.exe - are configured as low risk processes.  I’ve also excluded the paths to VS local workspaces and the Program Files ("%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\IDE" and "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\Common7\IDE") from scanning.

Is there something else I need to configure in McAfee?  If it's a 64-bit version of MSMVMON.exe that runs when the Platform Target setting is set to ‘Any CPU’, is it likely that it will have a slightly different name that needs to be configured in McAfee or would McAfee handle it differently?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

R

• alexn Veteran 722 posts since
    Aug 9, 2012
    1. Feb 15, 2013 10:43 AM (in response to rmrme)
    Re: VSE 8.8 issue with Visual Studio 2012

rmrmr,

I will help you out, but first i will verify somthing here, could you enable AP and open it>Under common standard protection>uncheck BLOCK, REPORT for Prevent hooking of McAfee processes>click OK

Now start your debug session and look for this issue?

Regards,

Alex

on 2/15/13 10:43:32 AM CST

Post Timings: 6.00 AM to 3.00PM PDT
  • pato Apprentice 107 posts since
    Apr 1, 2010
    4. Feb 20, 2013 5:59 AM (in response to rmrme)

Do you get any error message in the Mcafee Logfiles, mostly in the On-Access Scanner one and the Access Protection one?
    Normaly it gets logged if Mcafee blocks something.

Apr 1, 2010
    6. Feb 20, 2013 7:24 AM (in response to rmrme)

Now that is fairly weird. Can you check the settings if you do block stuff but not report it?

Also check the even viewer of the affected machine, maybe something else will log something.

• alexn Veteran 722 posts since
    Aug 9, 2012
    7. Feb 20, 2013 8:17 AM (in response to pato)

Hi rmrme,

As Pato said, could you open VSE console and under Help tab, there is event viewer, open it and look for any error message under application and System .

2.You can also try this as well, open VSe console and open Unwanted programe policy, click exclusions and browse to the path which is being shown in this window.click ok.

3.To make sure VSE is blocking, stop VSE all services, and try your programe again.by doing so I wll be sure that VSe is blocking it, although there is nothing in Logs, also disable your windows firewall or put the procees in allowed application in Windows firewall settings.

Post Timings: 6.00 AM to 3.00PM PDT
    Apr 1, 2010
    9. Feb 20, 2013 9:00 AM (in response to rmrme)

Can you check if it works if you only disable Access Protection?

Or, but that maybe needs some policy tuning, if you leave Access Protection running, but with disabled On-Access?

That way we can rule out which one of those two components is causing the problem.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points