7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2013 7:27 AM by mmjlz

EEPC 7 - Preboot Authentication - Touchscreen not working

psm-av

We are testing EEPC 7 on Windows8 tablets, so far so good, only issue we have come accross is on Pre-boot authentication the touchscreen does not work.

EE Product based plicy is correctly configured. On Screen keyboard is enabled and does show on the pre-boot screen.

We have tested with the following two Windows8 tablets:

Dell Latitude 10

HP Elite PAD 900 -

bot running on Intel Atom processor Z2760.

Also When the tablet is plugged into the cradle with physical keyboard and mouse connected, that works. Only keyboard works but mouse does not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: EEPC 7 - Preboot Authentication - Touchscreen not working
          dwebb

Hi, I'd imagine that the system is booting using UEFI, which means that the platform must supply the UEFI Absolute Pointer Protocol for the touch screen to work in the EEPC preboot environment.  We are seeing that this is a UEFI protocol that is often omitted by the OEM.

I would recommend that you speak with Dell and HP and request that they give you a firmware upgrade which includes this important platform protocol.

Unfortunately, there is little else we can do since we cannot write a driver for the underlying digitizer hardware, whatever that may be.

Sorry I can't be of more help.....

• 2. Re: EEPC 7 - Preboot Authentication - Touchscreen not working
            dwebb

Can you please try one thing for me?  In preboot, with the OSK enabled, do you see the mouse cursor?  If you do, and you touch the screen, does the pointer disappear, move at all or does it remain static?

Thanks

• 3. Re: EEPC 7 - Preboot Authentication - Touchscreen not working
              psm-av

Thanks dwebb for your replies:

Pointer does not disappper it actually remains static and visible on the screen.

• 4. Re: EEPC 7 - Preboot Authentication - Touchscreen not working
                dwebb

Ok, thanks.....definitely no Absolute Pointer Protocol then.

If you do speak to the OEMs and request a firmware upgrade to support this, please let us know whether they agree!

Thanks

• 5. Re: EEPC 7 - Preboot Authentication - Touchscreen not working
                  alexn

Hey Guys,

Just  a bit explanation as i was told by SafeBoot here.

EEPC 7.0 examines which boot proceess has been configured in windows 8 to boot from, I think here windows 8 is installed with UEFI boot process and

Dwebb is right here UEFI must have absoloute pointer protocol or  Simple Pointer Protocol for the touch screen to work here.

UEFI implementations differ by hardware vendors.For UEFI the pre-boot will support both the Simple Pointer Protocol and the Absolute Pointer Protocol. One or both of these are expected to be implemented for all touch screen devices encountered. If a manufacturer/OEM of the UEFI implementation has failed to implement either of these mechanisms then support for the touch screen will not be guaranteed.

Regards,

Alex

on 2/14/13 8:32:26 AM CST
                  • 6. Re: EEPC 7 - Preboot Authentication - Touchscreen not working

The HP ElitePad 900 has a Softpaq (SP60030) available that does a UEFI update which gives use of a soft key keyboard.  I've found though that this doesn't always work (or load).  The strange thing is you can go into the BIOS and the touch screen will work perfectly but the pre-boot touchscreen outside of this works intermitently at best.

The Dell Latitude 10 also has a bios update available but I haven't had a chance to test this yet.

• 7. Re: EEPC 7 - Preboot Authentication - Touchscreen not working
                      mmjlz

Hi,

we have the same problem on Microsoft Surface Pro. In BIOS the touch stuff is working, in preboot not. Maybe some other Surface users here with same experience?

Is it now necessary to contact MS and ask for implementation of the pointer protocols?

best regards,

Jessica