7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2013 9:09 AM by alexn

Move ePo to a new server, new name, new IP, different directory path

araczek

Hi,

Have ePo 4.5, upgrading it to 4.6.1. A new installation on another server has ePo 4.6.1. As stated above I want to move ePo to a

new server and the IP, name and ePo directory path will be different. I am migrating toServer 2008. I have read KB66616 and it is

no help considering it states: IMPORTANT! You must reinstall ePo to the exact same directory path as the previous installation or

initialization of extensions will fail when restore is complete. I can't seem to find one article that details my particular situation.

Original ePo server had ePo installed to 'C' but in stalled a new ePo server and installedit to 'D'.

Can someone point me to an article or cluster of articles so that I can piece together this move? What's REAL important are the policies

as they are set per security standards. Not a big enivronment but just the same I'd like to move over EVERYTHNIG that I can

without reinventing.

HELP!

alan.raczek1@us.army.mil

• 1. Re: Move ePo to a new server, new name, new IP, different directory path
          JoeBidgood

Hi...

You can't move an ePO installation and upgrade it at the same time - you need to treat it as two discrete steps. So, either move the existing 4.5 installation to the new machine, and then upgrade it in place to 4.6, or upgrade it to 4.6 first and then move it.

A couple of points:

1) ePO 4.6.1 is fairly old - the current shipping version is 4.6.5: if possible I would strongly recommend upgrading to the latest version. (I realise however this may not always be possible.)

2) If there is any way you can arrange things so that the new ePO installation is in the same path, it will make your life a lot easier. Otherwise you will have a lot of manual editing to do, essentially as described in KB71078 .

HTH -

Joe

• 2. Re: Move ePo to a new server, new name, new IP, different directory path
            alexn

Hey, in this case why dont you just export your all policies, I mean take backup of your all policies of ePo and Products, and import it to new server

Instead of messing up with many files and folder excahnge.Install latest as suggested 4.6p5 to new machine and import your all policies from previous ePO.And to make policies compatible with 4.6 version, you must apply 4.5 patch 3 first and then export policies and settings.

Message was edited by: alexn on 2/13/13 2:04:28 PM CST

Message was edited by: alexn on 2/13/13 2:06:46 PM CST
            • 3. Re: Move ePo to a new server, new name, new IP, different directory path
              araczek

Thanks guys. )Old ePo was installed to the 'C' partition and I want to get away from that. No reason I should have programs running

on the System drive. That's one thing. Second I really don't have access to v4.6.5. Lastly I (once again) tried to upgrade 4.5 to 4.6.1

and get the error (or something like) ePo can't backup files in c:\program Files\....... Close any applicatons using these files and try setup

again. No ePo services are running, no idea what to do here. The last time I tried the upgrade it hosed my installation, spent day and a half to get

it up and running again.

Yes I know I can export policies. Trying to move all I can.

Joe- That article says "because the 64 bit system will have the same name and Ip...so this kind of threw me off. Not what I want. This

article still applies??

• 4. Re: Move ePo to a new server, new name, new IP, different directory path
                alexn

This KB will be applied only this thing should be consider

The Agent uses either the last known IP address, DNS name, or NetBIOS name of the ePO server. If you change any one of these, ensure that the Agents have a way to locate the server. The easiest way to do this would be to retain the existing DNS record and change it to point to the new IP address of the ePO server. After the Agent is able to successfully connect to the ePO server, it downloads an updated SiteList.xml with the current information.

I have easy Plan for you.

1.Install ePO 4.6 Patch 5 on new box in any any Drive that you want.(Recommended is c:)

2.On your old epo apply patch 3 and then export all Product policies and ePO settings.

3.Import all policies in youir new epo.

4.Register your old ePO with new one and export your all machines.

5.after exporting all system, you may remove your old box and let the new epo controll your environment.

I hope this will help you and will save your time.

Regards

Alex

on 2/13/13 2:44:01 PM CST
                • 5. Re: Move ePo to a new server, new name, new IP, different directory path
                  JoeBidgood

Joe- That article says "because the 64 bit system will have the same name and Ip...so this kind of threw me off. Not what I want. This

article still applies??

You're effectively going to be doing a combination of KB 66616 and this one - 66616 for moving to a new machine, and then this KB for installing to a different path. The article was originally written for people moving to a 64bit environment, but the underlying principle - moving ePO to a different path - still applies. You'll just need to apply your D: drive path rather than the "Program Files (x86)" that the article mainly refers to.

For the "cannot back up files" error, please make sure that you have no shortcuts pointing to the ePO folder structure. (I've seen it in the past where people understandably put shortcuts to the log files on their desktop - but that can cause the error you're seeing.)

HTH -

Joe

• 6. Re: Move ePo to a new server, new name, new IP, different directory path
                    araczek

Alex,

As far as item2 goes in your plan (I already have Patch 5 on that ePo) you say export ePo settings. The policy thing I get, I exported them.

What do you mean by ePo settings? I understand I need to do some manual labor, thats not a big deal. And I knew about the agents

wanting to contact old server and DNS.

From what I see I am interested in System Tree-Group Details, System Tree-Client Tasks, Automation-Server tasks. Can settings from these be

preserved? And whatever else I am missing!

...Alan

PS I know this is contained in the two articles somehow, just have to dig through a little harder. Just don't want to be spending much more time on

this project. Needs to be finished.

• 7. Re: Move ePo to a new server, new name, new IP, different directory path
                      alexn

araczek,

You are fine with item 2, from ePo settings I mean the following settings that you can export and then import into your new machine.

Exportable items

The following items can be exported. Installed extensions may add items to this list. Please check the

extension's documentation for details.

• Dashboards

• Permission Sets

• Queries

• Reports

• Server Tasks

• Users

• Automatic Responses

The following items can have a table of their current contents exported.

• Audit Log

• Issues

Items exported from a ePolicy Orchestrator server can be imported into another server.

ePolicy Orchestrator exports items into XML. These XML files contain exact descriptions of the

exported items.

Another Discription of items thatyou can export (server sttings)

• ü  Automatic responses
                      • ü  Client task objects
                      • ü  Dashboards
                      • ü  Detected System Exceptions
                      • ü  Permission set definitions
                      • ü  Policy objects
                      • ü  Policy assignments
                      • ü  Query definitions
                      • ü  Query data
                      • ü  Reports
                      • ü  Server tasks
                      • ü  Site lists
                      • ü  Subnets (in the form of a list
                      • ü  Systems (in the form of a list, from the
                      • ü  System Tree)
                      • ü  Tables (in the form of a report or list)

Regards,

Alex

on 2/14/13 9:09:36 AM CST