Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
1369 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2013 11:45 AM by JoeBidgood RSS
garlicka Newcomer 5 posts since
Feb 13, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 13, 2013 9:45 AM

VPN Clients in ePO 1st Time connection's

Hi

We have a small pocket of about 20 machines which are all remote on VPN. They all connect to the AD through VPN. I am using ePO 4.6.4 which I sync to the AD.

Now I understand that the best way to deploy the client is 1st time by LAN however this is not possible at this time and I also understand that when on VPN that all clients as basically getting the same MAC Address so this causes confusion in the ePO.

I have seen the KB52949 but I am little confused on that - it says that I need to get the VPN MAC Address of the Client and the Insert into the ePOVirtualMacVendor - However and please call me crazy but if all clients are getting the same VPN MAC Address won't the VPN MAC Address not be the same when I am doing the insert? Or am I missing the entire point?

Thanks in advance.

• alexn Veteran 722 posts since
    Aug 9, 2012
    1. Feb 13, 2013 10:02 AM (in response to garlicka)
    Re: VPN Clients in ePO 1st Time connection's

garlicka,

1.Run query mentioned in this kb and you dont need to copy VPN MAC address, obviously that would be same for all clients, here you will copy the actual MAC address of your machines

2.locate the MAC Address. Make a note of the first six digits of this MAC address in the next step (for example, 00123F21ECED).

3.And then Modify the SQL script to add the computer to the tree:

Post Timings: 6.00 AM to 3.00PM PDT
    Aug 9, 2012
    3. Feb 13, 2013 11:00 AM (in response to garlicka)

Garlicka, it appreas either all machines are sharing same MAC or it is VPN MAC,

Try changing  Wired MAC and Wirless MAC under Single Group Summary Table.and Run Query again.

Do you see all your VPN machines under system tree or just single VPN client?

Message was edited by: alexn on 2/13/13 11:00:19 AM CST

• JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,868 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009
    4. Feb 13, 2013 11:37 AM (in response to garlicka)
    I have seen the KB52949 but I am little confused on that - it says that I need to get the VPN MAC Address of the Client and the Insert into the ePOVirtualMacVendor - However and please call me crazy but if all clients are getting the same VPN MAC Address won't the VPN MAC Address not be the same when I am doing the insert? Or am I missing the entire point?

Thanks in advance.

What's happening here is that when a machine communicates with ePO, it checks two pieces of information - first the GUID, and then the MAC address (if the GUID is new.)

In a VPN environment, when a machine connects for the first time, it will have a new GUID, but it will have the same MAC address as the other machines using the VPN - so ePO thinks it's the same machine with a new GUID, and does not create a new entry.

By adding the first six characters to the ePOVirtualMacVendor table, you're telling ePO to skip the MAC address check for any machines whose MAC address starts with those six characters: this means that each machine will get its own entry in ePO, as it should.

Add 00059a to the table , as described in the article, then allow a couple of machines to connect: you should  get two separate entries.

HTH -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

Aug 9, 2012
    6. Feb 13, 2013 1:14 PM (in response to garlicka)

Yes, it is correct.

• JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,868 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009
    8. Feb 15, 2013 11:45 AM (in response to garlicka)

No problem - I will see if I can get the KB article improved to be clearer.

Thanks -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points