7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2013 11:03 AM by ecardanha

Windows Surface Pro feedback

johlee991

Hi all,

Got a few new Windows Surface Pros running Windows 8 in and on first look, the EEPC 7.0 is kinda odd.  The OSK does not respond to the screen, however the keyboard/cover does respond, so that's good at least.  Second, the resolution of the PBA at bootup is tiny.  It doesn't fill the space provided by the screen and it's very small.  Readable, but it's not using the screen size optimally.  Anybody else notice this?

• 1. Re: Windows Surface Pro feedback

I've noticed the same thing.  Super small at the login screen.  I've tried differnt resoltuions but so far nothing works. 

• 2. Re: Windows Surface Pro feedback
            johlee991

Yeah, I thought it was a theme issue so I tried modifying the theme, but nope.  No success.  It's some quirky Windows 8 UEFI issue, I think.  Talked to support about it and they are looking into it.  Haven't heard back from them in over a month though.  Last guy I talked to suggested me filling our a PER form.  So it appears no resolution soon.  Might have to wait for the next patch/update like I did with our Samsung Slates and when EEPC 6.0 first launched.  When 6.2.1 came out it resolved that Samsung Slate pen calibration issue. 

• 3. Re: Windows Surface Pro feedback
              ecardanha

I just came across this post about the Surface Pro Screen Resolution have you heard of any updates from support as to a fix.  I just added 7.0.1 to one and was amazed at how tiny the preboot is on it.  Other then the screen resolution at preboot it seems to work quite well.

• 4. Re: Windows Surface Pro feedback
                johlee991

Nope.  Hopefully, next patch/hotfix will resolve the resolution.  Because some of our Windows8 tablet users are older, I ended up just disabling the PBA on the tablets altogether till they get it resolved.

• 5. Re: Windows Surface Pro feedback
                  ecardanha

Hopefully that will be the case.  I am curious if it is just a Theme or Resolution Setting.  I know in my Product Settings for the Preboot I have it set to Automatic with the highest option they offer is 1600 x 1200 and the Surface Pro is 1920 x 1080.  Touch screen function even seemed to be responsive as if the drivers were all there.  I wish I had an RT to test with as that is a lower resolution.  I opened a Support Case with McAfee to see if there were any updates on a hotfix or workaround to correct the issue.

• 6. Re: Windows Surface Pro feedback

A Windows 8 RT device? EEPC is not compatible with that, it's not possible to make products like EEPC for WinRT - Microsoft simply don't allow for it in the scope of the OS, neither does the device (remember, it's ARM not IA architecture)

• 7. Re: Windows Surface Pro feedback
                      ecardanha

Forgot about the Surface RT being a different processor then the Surface Pro that is an i5.  I loaded it without an issue on the Surface Pro the only catch is the Preboot window is shrunk and not fully expanded to fill the the window.