Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
2187 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2013 9:09 AM by JoeBidgood RSS
brucebishtoncds Newcomer 31 posts since
Jun 12, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 12, 2013 11:45 AM

Cannot connect a new Agent Handler to my existing EPO (4.6.1)

Hi All

I am tryin to connect a new AH to my main EPO soluiton but get hit with the "Setup was unable to login to the Database using the specified credentials"..

Im using the AH Software from the 4.6.1 installation folder..

Im using the cluster front end name + Port number I have chosen for the Console to Application Server (Default is 8444)

Just doesnt work... Cant connect...

Anyone got any tips to help diagnose this issue?

Regards

Bruce

• alexn Veteran 722 posts since
    Aug 9, 2012

Hi,

Are you following these steps?

1 Open the folder where you extracted the contents of the ePolicy Orchestrator installation

package.

2 Copy the AgentHandler folder to the intended Agent Handler server system.

3 Double-click and run Setup.exe. Installation activities take place in the background. When

they are completed, the InstallShield Wizard for McAfee Agent Handler opens. Click Next.

4 Accept the default destination or click Browse to change the destination, then click Next.

The Server Information page opens.

5 Type the machine name of the ePO Server with which the Agent Handler is to communicate.

6 Type the port to be used for server-handler communication. Port 8433 is the default. McAfee

recommends that you change the port designation. See the discussion of Ports in the Server

and Agent Handler requirements section.

7 Type the ePO Admin User name and password of a user with global administrator

privileges. If these credentials are to be used for the database as well, click Next to start

the installation.

NOTE: These credentials must be identical with those used during installation of ePolicy

Orchestrator.

8 If you want to use different database credentials than those mentioned in step 7, follow

these additional steps:

a Deselect Use ePO Server's database credentials, then click Next.

b Type the name of the SQL database server.

c Select Windows Authentication or SQL Authentication, then type the credentials.

NOTE: These credentials must be identical with those of a previously defined SQL Server

user.

9 Click Next. The installation process begins.

Regards,

Alex

Message was edited by: alexn on 2/12/13 1:04:34 PM CST

Post Timings: 6.00 AM to 3.00PM PDT
  • JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,868 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009

Is ePO configured to use Windows authentication to access SQL? If so then this could happen if there is no trust relationship. A workaround would be to configure an SQL account and specify it when installing the AH - that would let the AH machine stay out of the domain and still be able to access SQL.

HTH -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

• alexn Veteran 722 posts since
    Aug 9, 2012

1.if SQL configured with window authentication, AH  machine should also be part of the same domain to access SQL DB.

and any account with SQL authentication will allow AH to connect to DB irrespective of domain membership.

Well you are right Bruce,Many other will find helpful hints from this discussion.

Regards,

Alex

Post Timings: 6.00 AM to 3.00PM PDT
    Sep 11, 2009

No problem. For testing purposes I very strongly recommend you use the actual sa account to get it working - once that's done you can substitute a more restricted account if you wish, but use sa to begin with.

HTH -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

Sep 11, 2009

Possibly a stupid question, but check that SQL is configured to allow both Windows and SQL authentication:  by default it's Windows  only.

You can try installing the Management Studio on the AH, and see if you can log in to the ePO DB from there.

HTH -

Joe

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points