2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2013 10:44 AM by Tristan

ePo 4.5 | Run Immediately

earthcadet

Hi Guys,

I am trying to figure out why we are having some problems on our network and was just having a look at our ePO server.

I have a task setup for several OU's that are set to run immediately.

This task involves installing mcAfee AV and spyware plugins, it is also set to run at every policy enforcement.

I am starting to think this could be eating up resources?

The user agent's policy enforcements are set for 15min intervals. This has been set where I specify the update pull from the repository (Current and Previous) in the policy catalog for the agent.

So is it ok to leave the schedule as immediately and run at every policy enforcement? I thought that perhaps it will know that McAfee has already been installed and will not download installation files and attempt to install. I am using this normally when I remote install an agent and make it install McAfee and enfore policy, but perhaps every 15minutes is too aggresive?

My second question, what are some of the pitfalls when setting up settings for updating, etc to avoid. Anything that could flood the network really. I am not blaming ePO for our problems but would like to check and eliminate it from the equation :-)

Many thanks

Tom

• 1. Re: ePo 4.5 | Run Immediately
          alexn

McAfee Agent Product Deployment or Product Update task has one of the available options is Run at every policy enforcement. This option has no effect as the task is deleted after it finishes."

Also if the option to "Run at Every Policy Enforcement is selected it causes the agent to contact it's   EPO Server to see if it has a new product to install.  Regradless of whether the source files are already on the machine.

So if you have your enforcement interval set to the default of 15 minutes and you have xxxxx clients you will have them contacting your  ePO Server every 15 minutes to see if there is a new product update.  Most orgs set their enforcment interval to 60 minutes but you would still have all the machines contacting your DR's every 60 minutes.

From the epo v4.6 Product guide on Page 154 concerning a Run Immediately task.

If you create a McAfee Agent Product Deployment or Product Update task during this procedure, one of the available options is Run at every policy enforcement. This option has no effect as the task is deleted after it finishes."

Also if the option to "Run at Every Policy Enforcement is selected it causes the agent to contact it's DR or the EPO Server to see if it has a new product to install.  Regradless of whether the source files are already on the machine.

My second question, what are some of the pitfalls when setting up settings for updating, etc to avoid. Anything that could flood the network really. I am not blaming ePO for our problems but would like to check and eliminate it from the equation :-)

If you have Bandwidth concerns, then ASCI should be at its default time that is 60m, and Policy enforcemment should be default 20 minutes.For large networks an AH is best solution to avoid too many requests for ePO to handle at once.

• 2. Re: ePo 4.5 | Run Immediately
            Tristan

Question: is this a LAN or WAN where your experiencing the issues?

One thing to check is what DAT(S) the clients are downloading.

I've had similar issues where a single rogue computer has, for what ever reason, decided to continuously attempt to download the 130mb avvdat-xxx.zip superdat file at every update cycle. This obviously crippled a 256Kb/s WAN link.