Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
851 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2013 6:50 PM by zurchiboy RSS
zurchiboy Newcomer 10 posts since
Feb 11, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 11, 2013 7:56 PM

What folders or areas does McAfee Security scan scan?

I am curious to see what folders This product scans. I assume it scans system32 files.

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,332 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002

Unsure as it scans in 2 minutes it would be a quick scan. vis Install it and see if you can notice what folders are scanned. Really better to install a trial of the full total protection program and see if you like it. Mcafee security scan plus is only there to detect malware and I assume prod you to update to its full version brother. If you need more info I can ask further.

McAfee Security Scan Plus is a free diagnostic tool that ensures you are protected by  actively checking your computer for up-to- If you want I can ask furtherdate anti-virus, firewall, and web  security software so you always know if your computer is safe.  It scans for threats such as malware,  Trojans, and unwanted programs actively running on your computer. It even scans your browser history for suspicious activity. McAfee Security Scan Plus scans your computer in under two minutes, never slowing down your work or play. In addition, you can customize how often you want your computer scanned.  When a scan is complete, you’ll see the status of your security protection. If  problems are detected, McAfee will provide security solution recommendations.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• Hayton Volunteer Moderator 4,588 posts since
    Sep 27, 2010

The Security Scan Plus program has been modified recently and may now scan more of the system than it used to.  It is, basically, a marketing tool for McAfee - something to show off what the full installation is capable of.

It used to scan just memory (for running malware), browser history and cookies (looking for risky sites) and perhaps a few in-use system files. Now, I'm not sure what it does. Certainly it will now add itself to each of your browsers as an extension or add-on (without asking permission first, of which I strongly disapprove). Probably the system file scanning has been extended to checking all windows system files. There's no adequate product documentation for this program, and that's something I'd like to see introduced.

As for what happens if it finds anything - it will tell you. It's never found anything on my system so I can't say how it does that.

Volunteer Moderator  Leeds, UK
    No PM's please

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points