Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
11314 Views 119 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 3:47 AM by Peacekeeper RSS 1 2 3 ... 12 Previous Next
mrburns42 Newcomer 54 posts since
Feb 9, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 9, 2013 9:40 PM

Win XP Locks up running Portable Apps from USB Drive

I have a number of apps stored on USB drives.  These used to work fine on my computers.   Now both of my home machines which are running McAfee Total Protection will lock up when I attempt to execute these apps.  The same USB sticks run fine at work.  The difference in the work machines is that McAfee is not installed.  I ran Virtual Technician and it found no problems.  If i start the computer in safe mode, then the application stored on the USB drive  will work fine.   If I copy the folder with the application from the  USB drive to the computers HD, then the application also will launch fine. 

When I attempt to start the application from the USB drive, the drive light blinks, but the application does not launch.  I do not even get the intial splash screen.   Afterward,  I can see the application in the Windows Task Manager, but I cannot stop it.  At that point Windows Explorer is also hung and cannot be closed with the Windows Task Manager.  I cannot even shutdown the computer correctly.  I have to turn off the power, as none of the shutdown or restart options work.   I thought perhaps that McAfee is just slow scanning the application, so I left the machine idle for several hours without any progress.  The drive light also does not blink on the USB stick.  So, I know it is not trying to scan the remainder of the files on the USB stick.

Remember this works OK in Safe Mode.  In Safe Mode, real time scanning is disabled.  I tried disabling real time scanning in normal mode.  However, it still crashes.  I did notice that McAfee appears to be treating USB drives differently because even with real time scanning disabled, I still get pop-ups when I plug in a USB drive. 

Does anyone else see this behavior on USB drives?    Any idea how to stop it? 

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,364 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002

Is this 12.1 or 11.6 version?

Are your settings as below especially the second one?.

scan.jpg

What application as I can run movies from the usb stick have not tried an exe recently. Ok tested and running mcpreinstall works

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.e xe

does it for you?

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

Nov 23, 2002

Copied the file will test it tonight

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

Nov 23, 2002

Haven't had a chance to install the file will try when I have a spare 30 mins. Re mcsvhost yes I have two as well. I will ask

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

Nov 23, 2002

12.1 is not updating for every1 you should get it in a day or 3. It was throttled to only a % of updaters.

Will try to allow time to install the app tomorrow

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator

1 2 3 ... 12 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points