1 2 3 Previous Next 119 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 3:47 AM by Peacekeeper RSS

Win XP Locks up running Portable Apps from USB Drive

mrburns42

I have a number of apps stored on USB drives.  These used to work fine on my computers.   Now both of my home machines which are running McAfee Total Protection will lock up when I attempt to execute these apps.  The same USB sticks run fine at work.  The difference in the work machines is that McAfee is not installed.  I ran Virtual Technician and it found no problems.  If i start the computer in safe mode, then the application stored on the USB drive  will work fine.   If I copy the folder with the application from the  USB drive to the computers HD, then the application also will launch fine. 

When I attempt to start the application from the USB drive, the drive light blinks, but the application does not launch.  I do not even get the intial splash screen.   Afterward,  I can see the application in the Windows Task Manager, but I cannot stop it.  At that point Windows Explorer is also hung and cannot be closed with the Windows Task Manager.  I cannot even shutdown the computer correctly.  I have to turn off the power, as none of the shutdown or restart options work.   I thought perhaps that McAfee is just slow scanning the application, so I left the machine idle for several hours without any progress.  The drive light also does not blink on the USB stick.  So, I know it is not trying to scan the remainder of the files on the USB stick.

Remember this works OK in Safe Mode.  In Safe Mode, real time scanning is disabled.  I tried disabling real time scanning in normal mode.  However, it still crashes.  I did notice that McAfee appears to be treating USB drives differently because even with real time scanning disabled, I still get pop-ups when I plug in a USB drive. 

Does anyone else see this behavior on USB drives?    Any idea how to stop it? 

• 1. Re: Win XP Locks up running Portable Apps from USB Drive
          Peacekeeper

Is this 12.1 or 11.6 version?

Are your settings as below especially the second one?.

scan.jpg

What application as I can run movies from the usb stick have not tried an exe recently. Ok tested and running mcpreinstall works

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.e xe

does it for you?

• 2. Re: Win XP Locks up running Portable Apps from USB Drive
            mrburns42

Tony,

I am running Security Center 12.1  Build 12.1.253

In my settings the Removeable drives is set to "Ask me to scan when drive is plugged in"    I also tried the Real-Time scanning of file as I use them.   The Other setting is the recommended  "Strike a balance one". 

I downloaded the test file and copied it to a USB stick.  When executing from the USB stick, it opened up fine.  I had no problems with Mcpreinstall.exe. 

Executable files that are completely contained in one file run OK.  It seems that the programs that have problems are applications that have informaton or parts of the programs stored in multiple files.   One program that will no run from the USB stick is Calibre Portable.    This is an ebook management program. 

http://calibre-ebook.com/download_portable

If I attempt to run this from the USB stick, it hangs up the computer and I cannot even shut the power down.  If I copy the folder containing  this portable application from the USB stick back to my HD, then it will open normally.   

(If you are not familar with portable applications, let me explain that they are configured to get all their ini files and extra needed dll files from the local USB stick.   This allows the program to be run on any Windows machine without installing anything. )

---- Steve

• 3. Re: Win XP Locks up running Portable Apps from USB Drive
              Peacekeeper

Copied the file will test it tonight

• 4. Re: Win XP Locks up running Portable Apps from USB Drive
                mrburns42

Has anyone tried a Portable App on Windows XP?    I am still having the issue.  I ran Windows Update and installed all released OS patches.  I also ran the McAfee update.   With everything up to date, the problem still occurs.   

I noticed on the machines that there are two processes named McSvHost.exe running.  Why are there two copies running?  

• 5. Re: Win XP Locks up running Portable Apps from USB Drive
                  Peacekeeper

Haven't had a chance to install the file will try when I have a spare 30 mins. Re mcsvhost yes I have two as well. I will ask

• 6. Re: Win XP Locks up running Portable Apps from USB Drive
                    mrburns42

I uninstalled McAfee on one of my XP machines.  After doing the uninstall, I verified that a sample Portable App worked fine.  Next, I reinstalled McAfee Total Protection 2012.   After the install, the Portable App still worked.  The installed version was 11.0 / Build 11.0.678.  The McAfee software immediately started updating itself.  I allowed the update to complete and rebooted as it requested. 

After the update, the installed version was 11.6 / Build 11.6.477.  With this version, the sample Portable App is still working. 

Something is really fishy here.  Before removing McAfee the version was 12.1 / Build 12.1.253.   After removal, reinstall and update, the version is 11.6.  

Why is the reinstall putting on this older version?  

Why does the 11.X versions work and the 12.X versions do not?

• 7. Re: Win XP Locks up running Portable Apps from USB Drive
                      Peacekeeper

12.1 is not updating for every1 you should get it in a day or 3. It was throttled to only a % of updaters.

Will try to allow time to install the app tomorrow

• 8. Re: Win XP Locks up running Portable Apps from USB Drive
                        mrburns42

I uninstalled Mcafee Total Protection on my second machine and then reinstalled.  This machine also ended up with Version 11.6/11.6.477.  The Portable Apps are running on this version on the second machine as well.   With both of these machines, there is only one copy of McSvHost.exe running when the Version 11 stuff is installed.    My guess is that when it decides to push version 12.1 out to me again, I will again be broken.

• 9. Re: Win XP Locks up running Portable Apps from USB Drive
                          mrburns42

The first machine that I uninstalled and then reinstalled remains at Version 11 even after more than one week.  The other machine also remains at Version 11 after  5 days.    Both machines still have only one copy of McSvHost.exe running, unlike Version 12.   Both machines are still working fine with Portable Apps on USB drives.  My conclusion is that McAfee knows they have a problem with Version 12, but are too chicken to admit it. 

1 2 3 Previous Next