Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1388 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 1:26 PM by Jon Scholten RSS
Evandro Rodrigues Newcomer 26 posts since
Sep 12, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 8, 2013 11:45 AM

MWG Bypass for some sites

Hello All! Hope you´re fine.

Is it possible to do a configuration in MWG to bypass some sites/url´s?

I mean, lets suppose that the user wants to open the intranet, so at browser he goes to http://intranet.com.br or http://10.1.1.1. I´d like to know if its possible to completely bypass these address in MWG, i mean, no rules, no configuration, no checks, no dns..absolutelly nothing, just bypass, like a browser exception.

Thanks,

Evandro.

• alexn Veteran 722 posts since
    Aug 9, 2012
    1. Feb 8, 2013 11:55 AM (in response to Evandro Rodrigues)
    Re: MWG Bypass for some sites

Yes, Evandro. It is possible and quit easy as well, please see below.

MWGWhite list.jpg

Message was edited by: alexn on 2/8/13 11:55:52 AM CST

Post Timings: 6.00 AM to 3.00PM PDT
  • btlyric Apprentice 184 posts since
    Aug 1, 2012
    3. Feb 8, 2013 12:09 PM (in response to Evandro Rodrigues)

If you're configured with a proxy setting in the browser, you would want to add intranet.com.br and 10.1.1.0/24 to the section in the browser settings that is labeled Do not proxy for these domains.

If  you're configured so that the traffic is going to MWG without a specified proxy, you would need to make routing modifications so that traffic never reached MWG.

Aug 9, 2012
    4. Feb 8, 2013 12:16 PM (in response to Evandro Rodrigues)

From these request, I assume that you have configured MWG as an "Explicit Proxy"? if yes, in this mode you direct your web traffic putting MWG ip and port in client browser, its a non-transparent mode.

So simply change settings in client browser.(Proxy settings)

Aug 9, 2012
    6. Feb 8, 2013 12:27 PM (in response to Evandro Rodrigues)

Throug MWG is easiest and guranted way is to white list any url and  it should be clear that the cleanest/easiest way to create domain based whitelist entries is through the use of the "URL.Host.BelongsToDomains" property. I hope this helps clarify use cases for the various URL related properties, perhaps it will help with understanding other properties as well.

• Jon Scholten McAfee SME 857 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    7. Feb 8, 2013 1:26 PM (in response to alexn)

Hi Evandro and all,

If a request is made to the Web Gateway via direct proxy, the Web Gateway MUST perform a DNS query to find out where the client is attempting to go. If you think about it, client does not inform the Web Gateway the IP of the requested URL. It simply says "Get me www.internal.local". It does NOT say "Get me www.internal.local, which resides at 10.1.1.1 and my name is Joe".

If you are having problems with the Web Gateway resolving internal URLs I would suggest either adding a search domain to the resolv.conf, or adding individual entries to the hosts file (both can be found under Configuration > File Editor).

If you simply want to ensure the request is allowed you can easily add entries to the Global Whitelist. Alex has already referenced my guide on how to correctly add whitelist/blacklist entries: https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-4514

Alternativley you can create rules based on the URL.Destination.IP, to not filter it (URL.Destination.IP is in range 10.0.0.0/8 stop cycle).

Let me know if this helps.

Best,

Jon

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points