3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2013 3:03 PM by alexn

General strategy - Agent Handler useful?

dhierholzer

Hi,

Right now I'm working on a strategy for our ePO environment. I'm pretty new to ePO but I have already read a lot.

Following scenario:

We have 2 mayor sites (let's call them NYC and ATL) with each about 300 workstations. We also have about 6 smaller branches all over the world (small means about 5-50 workstations each branch). The 2 mayor sites are connected with a high-speed VPN line. All others are connected with VPN lines with less throughput. In NYC is our ePO server and in ATL is currently an Agent Handler installed.

Does it make sense to have an Agent Handler installed in ATL? What advantages do we have with this?

- The ePO server in NYC isn't under heavy load, so load balancing wouldn't make much sense in this scenario.

- What about the traffic between NYC and ATL? All ATL clients connect to the ATL Agent Handler, but the AH itself will connect to the DB on the ePO server in NYC. Would it make a big difference if all ATL clients directly connect to the ePO server in NYC?

- Failover: If the Agent Handler goes down, all the ATL clients can still connect to the ePO server in NYC. But what if the ePO server in NYC goes down? Can the Agent Handler still operate without having a connection to the DB on the ePO server?

Thanks,

Denis

• 1. Re: General strategy - Agent Handler useful?
          alexn

If there is no any issue with load balancing and Network bandwidth, you may direct all clients from ATL to NYC, but in this case if your ePo goes down both NYC and ATL will not be updated by ePo, In your current senairo, apart from load balancing and Network babdwidth impact one important thing is that, your AH is a backup for your ATL.If server goes down, AH will be serving to ATL.And as soon as ePo comes back it will fetch updtes again and distribute to all clients.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: General strategy - Agent Handler useful?
            dhierholzer

Ok, thanks for the information.

That means that the Agent Handler can serve as a backup for all the client connections even if there is no connection to the ePO server DB, right? I assume it caches everything to serve the client as long as the ePO server is back up?!

I have found following in the Agent Handler white paper:

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/mcafee/content/live/product_documentation/ 22000/pd22508/en_us/epo_4.5_agent_hander_white_paper.pdf

Page 7, chapter "Failover"

"As long as the agent handler is connected to the database it can continue serving agents, including any policy or task modifications that result from agent properties or from user modifications prior to the application server being taken offline."

Does this mean that our Agent Handler will not be able to serve client request while the ePO server including its database is down? You have to know that the database is installed on the ePO server.

Thanks,

Denis

Message was edited by: dhierholzer on 2/6/13 12:15:15 PM CST

Message was edited by: dhierholzer on 2/6/13 12:15:51 PM CST
            • 3. Re: General strategy - Agent Handler useful?
              alexn

Agreed, If DB is also down then AH will not be able to server clients requests, If you have your SQl DB on the same server t, AH will not be serving your clients. So in your case your AH is serving as "Request Handler only if connected to DB".I would suggest you to set a "Repository" instead of AH.