5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2013 1:38 PM by jmcleish

Migrate standalone agents into EPO 4.5

I've not long started at a company and I've been asked to review their AV.

They currently have ePO 4.5 installed but whoever installed it never really got it up & running and they have since left the company.

After they left, successive people did not know how to log in and used a standalone client instead.  I've managed to get into ePO and now want to get all those standalone clients managed via ePO.

What is the best procedure to do this? Would I need to uninstall the standalone client & then install the managed clientt? Or would pushing out the managed clientt overwrite/upgrade the currently installed unmanaged client?  If I pushed out the managed client, would it automatically reboot the system?

• 1. Re: Migrate standalone agents into EPO 4.5
          Tristan

Simply deploy the agent from the ePO console.

It will take care of everything and turn the standalone clients into managed agents. No reboots are required for the agent installs. I've done it on production servers (by mistake) and not had any issues.

The only thing to consider is the policies on the clients. As pushing the agent onto the machines will override any custom local policies with the ePOs default policies.

• 2. Re: Migrate standalone agents into EPO 4.5
            jmcleish

If none of your machines are in the current ePO server, then the best thing to do would be to setup a new/or upgrade to 4.6.4 ePO server.  4.5 goes end of life in December.

by standalone client- do you just mean VirusScan or the agent too? If so what version of agent?

You'd really need to get the structure setup and all the policies and tasks and check in the latest agent  etc. first

You can do an AD sync to deploy agents (p126 in product guide) , or a GPO startup script etc  etc

If you use the frampkg.exe (NOT the framepkg_upd.exe) that the epo server creates (once you checkin the software) (C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Software\Current\EPOAGENT3000\Install\0409) and deploy that, i'm pretty sure it will upgrade the current agent into managed mode (assuming it had a previous agent on it) and thus appear in ePO. easiest way is to test on one machine first.

HTH

Jane

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Migrate standalone agents into EPO 4.5
              rackroyd

ePO 4.6 also includes the guided deployment wizard (basically a dashboard on steroids that walks new users through the essentials)

That would help you enormously if you upgrade. Unfortunately that's a newer feature which does not exist in ePO 4.5

• 4. Re: Migrate standalone agents into EPO 4.5
                alexn

Wait a minuteeeee!!!

Deploying new ePo server??? if yes then go for the latest patch .it is ePo 4.6 patch 5.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD24276.

• 5. Re: Migrate standalone agents into EPO 4.5
                  jmcleish

alex ....... wrote:

Deploying new ePo server??? if yes then go for the latest patch .it is ePo 4.6 patch 5.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD24276.

Yes- just released (after i'd posted the version above)

Sometimes its good to wait a week or so incase issues arise, as in the past some releases have been revoked and had to have reposts.