Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2523 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 3:03 PM by Ex_Brit RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
jpar6311 Newcomer 10 posts since
Feb 1, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 1, 2013 4:03 PM

Total Protection 12.1 Is Total Garbage!

I used to like the McAfee security suite, after this update to Total Protection 12.1 came along, I have had nothing but problems. I WILL NOT be renewing my McAfee subscription for the first time in 12 years! Yes, it's that bad. What's up with this so called "Vulnerability Scanner"? Who the heck had the idea for this? A program that scans Windows and other programs, then finds out whether they are running the latest version? NO THANKS! This is highly invasive to me. I prefer to run what I want, how I want, when I want on the computer that I built. I do not need some intrusive piece of S&^$ trying to tell me what I need to update. Not only that, after the "Update" to this junk, the Realtime Scanning wouldn't turn on, it was stuck in a loop. So I was getting a constant error that my computer wasn't protected, Then when I tried to run MVT (McAfee Virtual Technition) to fix the issue, I found out that that would NOT WORK with this new version of Total Protection. I wound up spending an hour,or more, of my time unistalling McAfee and re-downloading it and reinstalling, then entgering all mny settings all over again. All of this because I was pushed an "Update" that I did not want and did not ask for. This version 12.1 has managed to bring my system to a crwal a times. It takes forever to boot up now, forever and a day to load a web browser after boot and longer to go to sleep mode or shut down. I wish I could just Rollback to the previous version of Total Protection and use that, but NO, they will just push this stupid update all over again. Save yourself the time and hastle, DO NOT install this! Find a different secuity suite. This is all IMHO and a result of my own experiences with this product. If it runs fine for you, congratulations but I'm willing to bet most adavnced users find this utterly disgusting.

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,646 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    1. Feb 2, 2013 4:44 AM (in response to jpar6311)
    Re: Total Protection 12.1 Is Total Garbage!

Sorry you feel that way and good luck in your endeavours elsewhere.

Occasionaly upgrades don't go well, that goes for any software.   The answer is to uninstall, cleanup , reboot and reinstall.

As far as the Vulnerability Scanner goes, that is purely voluntary and can be turned off if you don't want to be reminded to install updates for insecure components but security software is there to keep you secure.

Also you could have phoned Technical Support free of charge (available 6am - 6pm Pacific) or used their online chat, also free of charge 24/7.

But that's all water under the bridge if you are going elsewhere.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 02/02/13 5:44:18 EST AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
    May 6, 2004
    3. Feb 3, 2013 7:01 AM (in response to jpar6311)

When you uninstalled did you then run the MCPR cleanup tool and reboot before installing?

Open SecurityCenter > PC and Home Network Tools > Vulnerability Scanner > Scheduled Scan Settings,

Don't you see the highlighted part that I see on mine in the pic below?  (Click to enlarge if necessary)  If not maybe you will with another update soon.

Capture.JPG

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/02/13 8:01:02 EST AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    May 6, 2004
    6. Feb 2, 2013 5:39 AM (in response to jpar6311)

That's odd.  Can you tell me from 'About' at the bottom of the main UI window the full build number of SecurityCenter and the Affid number please?

Then I will ask someone at McAfee about this.

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    May 6, 2004
    8. Feb 2, 2013 5:50 AM (in response to jpar6311)

I have Affid 0 too, that's fine.   I'm emailing some people I know, and am hoping they are around on weekends.

I have a feeling that you must be on an earlier version of that software and yet to update to it, which will happen eventually but you have the same SecurityCenter version as myself which is weird.

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)