5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 7:12 AM by dspracklen RSS

    Updating to MVM 7.5 left me unable to connect to the database externally

    dspracklen

      Previously things were working smoothly with MVM 7.0.  Yesterday after upgrading to MVM 7.5 I found my code was unable to log into the SQL Server database. The code is written in Java; it's designed to log into the SQL Server database directly and extract scan information, which it then formats and forwards along.

       

      The code now gives this as the error:

      ERROR main MVMVulnAdaptor.java(129) - DB query error: Unable to get a ResultSet from our Statement instance, com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: SQL Server did not return a response. The connection has been closed.

       

      My software is unchanged, so it seems as though the upgrade changed something with the database in some way.  I imagine it either uploaded some sort of DLL update or changed settings, but I can't find anything about this happening in the update log.  Web searches for that error message mostly turn up people having problems getting encryption correct, but this little program doesn't use any encryption to connect.

       

      Thanks much for your help.

       

      Message was edited by: dspracklen on 1/31/13 6:59:43 AM CST
        • 1. Re: Updating to MVM 7.5 left me unable to connect to the database externally

          hi ds,

           

          Can you login to MVM GUI?  take your customizations out of the equation?

           

          - Cathy

          • 2. Re: Updating to MVM 7.5 left me unable to connect to the database externally
            dspracklen

            Thanks for the reply.

             

            Yes, the MVM GUI is working fine.  Also, ePO can apparently access it fine as we now have that extension working.

             

            My problem is purely with Java connecting to SQL Server, probably due to a change enacted during the MVM 7.0 to 7.5 upgrade.  I've made sure encryption is off in all cases and that passwords work.  I noticed a section related to a SQL update of some sort in the udpate log, but it didn't really have enough details so that anything stood out as a problem.

            • 3. Re: Updating to MVM 7.5 left me unable to connect to the database externally
              dspracklen

              I may have spoken too soon with regards to the MVM GUI working fully.

               

              It works well enough that I can view scan status and schedule scans. I can see scan results if I log directly into SQL Server Studio Manager and view the tables.

               

              The MVM dashboard, however, never displays any data.  I decided to try and run a report and the HTML report just says 'undefined' a lot.  The error messages for it start with this one:

              [243][Thu Jan 31 2013 12:51:48 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)]

              LoadXMLFile

               

              ../I18N/en/customreportstrings.xml::[Exception... "Access to restricted URI denied"  code: "1012" nsresult: "0x805303f4 (NS_ERROR_DOM_BAD_URI)"  location: "file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Foundstone/Reports/icma/iCMAFullScan/5349/H TML/Include/xml.js Line: 393"]

               

              I don't know if this is related to the problem I have with connecting to SQL Server with Java now or not.  Scan data is definitely finding its way into the database.

              • 4. Re: Updating to MVM 7.5 left me unable to connect to the database externally

                Sounds like the installation was only partially upgraded to 7.5.  All components must be at the same patch level, which if you ran FSUPDATE after the upgrade (required as per the install guide) should be 7.5.1.

                 

                Do you have all the install Guides, and did you meet all the pre-requsites before you upgraded?

                • 5. Re: Updating to MVM 7.5 left me unable to connect to the database externally
                  dspracklen

                  Yes, I have the installation guide. Yes we meet system requirements. Again, version 7.0 was running just fine. In reality the problem had been that I was using Firefox, which was having problems with some of the displays. IE shows everything working just fine.  I'm back to the fact that I cannot connect to the faultline database from a Java application.

                   

                  Nowhere in the installation document does it demand that FSUPDATE be run, however. It carefully uses words like 'may' and 'can'.  After running it, the software clearly states we're at 7.5 however.

                   

                  I will switch to talking to a company representative, but thank you anyway.

                   

                  Message was edited by: dspracklen on 2/1/13 7:12:35 AM CST