7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 5:24 PM by HerbSmith RSS

QQ: how to change the first communication time when the mcafee agent is installed ?

denny

hi team,

i have a mcafee agent question need your help. thanks.

mcafee agent 4.6

for question:

To see below documentation:

After the agent is installed, it calls in to the server at a randomized interval within ten minutes.

Thereafter , the agent calls in at each agent-server communication interval (ASCI). By default

agent-server communication occurs every 60 minutes.

You can force the agent to communicate with the server at any time after installation by clicking

the McAfee system tray icon, (if it has been enabled), and selecting McAfee Agent Status

Monitor. When the Monitor appears, clicking Collect and Send Props sends full or minimal

properties as defined on the General page of the McAfee Agent Policy Catalog. Clicking Send

Events transmits events to the server but does not transmit policies and tasks from the server .

NOTE: For information on enabling the system tray icon see Using the system tray icon.

If the system tray icon has not been enabled, you can access the status monitor at the command

prompt. Set the working directory to the McAfee Common Framework folder (the default location

is C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework), then type this command:

CmdAgent.exe /s

as we know ,After the agent is installed, it calls in to the server at a randomized interval within ten minutes. for this first communication time. my customer want to know can we config it for a shorter time or become a real time. then perform immediately communication after the agent has installed.

can we do that and how to do that ? please help us.

• 2. Re: QQ: how to change the first communication time when the mcafee agent is installed ?
          aspiring26

is that agent have managed in ePO?,

look in to system tree, if that agent has managed, try to wake up agent, and in the client side, look tha agent status monitor..

• 3. Re: QQ: how to change the first communication time when the mcafee agent is installed ?
            denny

hi friend,

thanks for your help.

you don't understand what i mean .  To see below documentation, my customer will install the agent manual by themself . after installed , we have two methods to let the agent communication with EPO. one is type the command "CmdAgent.exe /s" to open the status monitor and clicking "send events transmits events to the server" , the other is we can wait for the agent communication with EPO automatic.  we can see the document to ponint out that the agent will be call in to the server at a randomized interval within 10 minutes. for this 10 minutes , my customer want to know can we config it for a shorter time or real time to call in to the server after installed agent. as i know , there is no any configure on EPO server and  creating the agent for this setting. so we need confirm . can you help on this question ?

After the agent is installed, it calls in to the server at a randomized interval within ten minutes.

Thereafter , the agent calls in at each agent-server communication interval (ASCI). By default

agent-server communication occurs every 60 minutes.

You can force the agent to communicate with the server at any time after installation by clicking

the McAfee system tray icon, (if it has been enabled), and selecting McAfee Agent Status

Monitor. When the Monitor appears, clicking Collect and Send Props sends full or minimal

properties as defined on the General page of the McAfee Agent Policy Catalog. Clicking Send

Events transmits events to the server but does not transmit policies and tasks from the server .

NOTE: For information on enabling the system tray icon see Using the system tray icon.

If the system tray icon has not been enabled, you can access the status monitor at the command

prompt. Set the working directory to the McAfee Common Framework folder (the default location

is C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework), then type this command:

CmdAgent.exe /s

• 4. Re: QQ: how to change the first communication time when the mcafee agent is installed ?
              rackroyd

Cannot be altered by policy imo - the purpose is to avoid accidentally burying the ePO server with communication requests simultaneously.

If you can't wait 10 minutes do as you say loally with cmdagent.exe /s or just directly use cmdaganet.exe /p

(See McAfee KB article: KB52707 - How to use command line switches with CmdAgent)

Rgds,

Rob.

• 5. Re: QQ: how to change the first communication time when the mcafee agent is installed ?
                alexn

There is no policy to change first communication interval of 10 m.If you want this communication faster, I think agent wakeup is best options, 10 m are okay to avoid bandwidth issues as well.

Message was edited by: alexn on 1/30/13 9:40:45 AM CST
                • 6. Re: QQ: how to change the first communication time when the mcafee agent is installed ?
                  denny

thanks all of my friend.

i will transfer your suggestion to my customer . and let them know we can not change the first communication time.

• 7. Re: QQ: how to change the first communication time when the mcafee agent is installed ?
                    HerbSmith

It has been my experience that using CMDAGENT within the first 10 minutes does not work effectively and sometimes seems to cause issues.   The first ASCI does a lot more work than the ones that come after.  And the ePO server does a lot more work on the first go round.  I suspect that this is cause of my poor experience with running CMDAGENT to rush things along.