Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
1698 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 5:24 PM by HerbSmith RSS
denny Newcomer 12 posts since
Jan 19, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 26, 2013 11:58 PM

QQ: how to change the first communication time when the mcafee agent is installed ?

hi team,

i have a mcafee agent question need your help. thanks.

mcafee agent 4.6

for question:

To see below documentation:

After the agent is installed, it calls in to the server at a randomized interval within ten minutes.

Thereafter , the agent calls in at each agent-server communication interval (ASCI). By default

agent-server communication occurs every 60 minutes.

You can force the agent to communicate with the server at any time after installation by clicking

the McAfee system tray icon, (if it has been enabled), and selecting McAfee Agent Status

Monitor. When the Monitor appears, clicking Collect and Send Props sends full or minimal

properties as defined on the General page of the McAfee Agent Policy Catalog. Clicking Send

Events transmits events to the server but does not transmit policies and tasks from the server .

NOTE: For information on enabling the system tray icon see Using the system tray icon.

If the system tray icon has not been enabled, you can access the status monitor at the command

prompt. Set the working directory to the McAfee Common Framework folder (the default location

is C:\Program Files\McAfee\Common Framework), then type this command:

CmdAgent.exe /s

as we know ,After the agent is installed, it calls in to the server at a randomized interval within ten minutes. for this first communication time. my customer want to know can we config it for a shorter time or become a real time. then perform immediately communication after the agent has installed.

can we do that and how to do that ? please help us.

• aspiring26 Newcomer 8 posts since
    Aug 15, 2012

is that agent have managed in ePO?,

look in to system tree, if that agent has managed, try to wake up agent, and in the client side, look tha agent status monitor..

• rackroyd McAfee Mentor 953 posts since
    Feb 3, 2010

Cannot be altered by policy imo - the purpose is to avoid accidentally burying the ePO server with communication requests simultaneously.

If you can't wait 10 minutes do as you say loally with cmdagent.exe /s or just directly use cmdaganet.exe /p

(See McAfee KB article: KB52707 - How to use command line switches with CmdAgent)

Rgds,

Rob.

• alexn Veteran 722 posts since
    Aug 9, 2012

There is no policy to change first communication interval of 10 m.If you want this communication faster, I think agent wakeup is best options, 10 m are okay to avoid bandwidth issues as well.

Message was edited by: alexn on 1/30/13 9:40:45 AM CST

Post Timings: 6.00 AM to 3.00PM PDT
  • HerbSmith Apprentice 92 posts since
    Dec 9, 2009

It has been my experience that using CMDAGENT within the first 10 minutes does not work effectively and sometimes seems to cause issues.   The first ASCI does a lot more work than the ones that come after.  And the ePO server does a lot more work on the first go round.  I suspect that this is cause of my poor experience with running CMDAGENT to rush things along.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points