Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
1958 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2013 11:50 AM by JoeBidgood RSS
navcat Newcomer 3 posts since
Jan 25, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 25, 2013 7:49 AM

Install VSE 8.8 on ePO 4.6 using Airgapped network

Hello all,

I am trying to install the above VSE using ePO on a stand-alone network with no internet access. I would like to mainly use this for pushing Virus updates to managed pcs on my network.

When I use the Guided Installation first step I receive the error message "The Product Catalog has not been downloaded yet", Failed to Connect to the Software Catalog Server. Therefore I cannot check in the VSE software.

Has anyone found a workaround to install and update .dat files?

Thanks,

Chris

• JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,868 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009
    1. Jan 25, 2013 9:42 AM (in response to navcat)
    Re: Install VSE 8.8 on ePO 4.6 using Airgapped network

If you're airgapped, then the software manager will be unable to work - you'll need to manage your repository and extensions manually (which is not as bad as it sounds.)

With regards to the DAT package, we make a package available on the download page( http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security-updates/security-updates.aspx ) that you can download and check in to ePO as though it were a product: it will give you the full set of files necessary for the clients to update.

HTH -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

• hem McAfee Employee 848 posts since
    Nov 18, 2009
    3. Jan 25, 2013 11:44 AM (in response to navcat)

Extensions are for policy management. To push VSE to the client machines you need to have VSE software package checked into the ePO repository.

Thanks
    Hem

• JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,868 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009
    4. Jan 25, 2013 11:50 AM (in response to navcat)

From ePO's perspeecctive, there are effectively two components to a product:

1) the extensions, which allows ePO to

(a) control a point product by creating policies and tasks - this is done by the management extension: and

(b) to understand the events that the point product generates: this is done by the reporting extension

and

2) the package, which is the install set that ePO uses to install a product on a client machine.

Thus for full command of a product, you need to have the package checked in to the master repository so that you can deploy it, and the extensions checked in so that you can control it.  If you haven't already done so, please see the ePO 4.6 Product Guide , specifically the section on Managing Packages And Extensions Manually - it explains this in detail.

HTH -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points