5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 18, 2013 11:46 PM by emanuelg

Building a new EPO server to replace old EPO server soon - can they both access DB on different server?

While I went thru KB71078 step by step and change file paths as needed - I've not restarted the services yet.  The plan is to build this new server and then change the IP and hostname to match the existing server in place.  Hopefully this keeps all the agents happy and no changes needed for the sitelist.xml file.

The one thing I was curious about is if there's any contraindictations about restarting the services on the new EPO server now and allowing the traffic to the same DB on a different server from both the old and new EPO file servers?  I'd like to import policies, tasks, etc and get everything I can setup in advance.  It seems there wouldn't be an issue since this is simlar to using the agent transfer utility while moving endpoints to a new server.

If anyone has comments for this question it would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Building a new EPO server to replace old EPO server soon - can they both access DB on different server?
          JoeBidgood

The one thing I was curious about is if there's any contraindictations about restarting the services on the new EPO server now and allowing the traffic to the same DB on a different server from both the old and new EPO file servers?

Very definitely - please don't do this

Details about the ePO server are stored in the database, and when you start the second server it will overwrite the existing information with its own, with disastrous effects on the existing environment. Keep the two entities separate and move the clients over using the agent transfer.

HTH -

Joe

• 2. Re: Building a new EPO server to replace old EPO server soon - can they both access DB on different server?

Just as I suspected.  I'll read more about the agent transfer utility but knowing I've not changed any ports, name and IP will be identical is this really necessary?  My thoughts were that if the endpoints have a sitelist.xml that still has current information they should just begin talking to the new server once we remove the old server from the configuration.  Does that makes sense?

Thanks for the quick response though, Joe.

• 3. Re: Building a new EPO server to replace old EPO server soon - can they both access DB on different server?

@Joe where can you find anything about this agent transfer utility?  I've searched around before and haven't found much info but see alot of talk about it here. 

• 4. Re: Building a new EPO server to replace old EPO server soon - can they both access DB on different server?
                JoeBidgood

As long as you have exported the agent/server keys from the first server and imported them into the second, then in theory you should be OK. My personal preference though would be to bring up the second server with a different name and IP - i.e. as a completely separate entity - and then transfer the agents from one to the other in batches if necessary.

The transfer agents function is not really a utility - it's a feature of ePO 4.5 and later. Essentially it lets you tell machines being controlled by server A to move to server B: the advantages are that you can control how fast this happens, and it doesn't involve any agent reinstalls.

I'm sure other regulars on this forum can comment on its use in real-world examples...

Regards -

Joe

• 5. Re: Building a new EPO server to replace old EPO server soon - can they both access DB on different server?

Hey Joe,  I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but I'm in the middle of creating a new ePO server and I'm currently trying to set the "Transfer systems" to enable, but it keeps telling me this:

"Master agent-server key(s) must be imported into the remote server prior to importing the sitelist."

I've already exported the agent-server key from old ePO server and imported to the new one.  I even exported the Master repository key from the old ePO and imported back on the new one, restarted both ePO servers, but I keep getting the same error message.

I'm not sure if my import/export process is being done properly, Keys are listed on the new server, so I don't really know what I'm missing here.  I've also did the inverse process, importing Keys from new ePO into old ePO, with no luck.

Can you please provide some more detail on the impor/export process? I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong here...

Thanks in advance!