Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2938 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2013 10:56 AM by Ex_Brit RSS
hydration Newcomer 2 posts since
Jan 24, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 24, 2013 10:17 AM

Metropole Police UKASH Virus

Hello,

It is my first time to do anything like this, i.e. using an online community forum. However, I am needing some assistance.

Recently, my computer has been infected with this Metropole Police UKASH virus. I have read previous posts concerning unlocking the computer, removing the virus and decrypting locked files with this Dr. Web decryption software.

However, I took my computer to the local computer shop, whereby my documents folder was saved and then the computer reinstalled with virus removed. However, after taking back my computer, I noticed that most of my Jpeg photographs from my Panasonic digital camera were locked and could not be opened. Also a few of my recent text documents were locked and my Notepad HTML files had been messed about.

Since I had a few old back-up Jpeg files I then tried this Dr. Web decryption software, i.e. uploading one previous good Jpeg file and then uploading the same infected encrypted file. Unfortunately, the returned message was ' No match between files found. Second file should be like first, just encrypted '. I am therefore confused as to why it is saying this, since I know they are the same files.

I have looked at file properties between saved files, a few of the files that were not infected and the infected files. The file name remains the same, i.e. it has not been changed to 'locked' by the virus, the file size is slightly different between good saved file and the same infected file, and also the infected locked files do not seem to now have the camera EXIF properties anymore. Also, the infected files have changed to 'read-only', whereby the good files are only ticked 'archive'.

It is also interesting to note that only the Jpeg photograph files from my Panasonic camera were infected, Jpeg photographs from two other cameras were not infected, i.e. I can still see and open them. Also, there are for some reason three Panasonic Jpeg photographs that seemed to have been left alone and working amongst the countless other infected Jpeg files within the same folders.

If anyone can enlighten me on this problem, i.e. not being able to use this decryption software, I would be most grateful.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points