Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
2097 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 9:02 PM by romardy RSS
romardy Apprentice 116 posts since
Sep 26, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 23, 2013 6:57 PM

Systems become unmanaged workstations

Hi,

Is there a possibility that systems become unmanaged because they are not connected to network or system are shutdown for a long span?

• JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,880 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009
    1. Jan 24, 2013 9:26 AM (in response to romardy)
    Re: Systems become unmanaged workstations

Not by default, no - once a system is shown as managed, it will stay that way. Even if the machine was off for a long time and was removed from the ePO system tree (for example by the inactive agent maintenance task), the next time it was switched on it would reappear in the tree and show as managed.

HTH -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

• gaylord Newcomer 1 posts since
    Jan 31, 2013
    3. Jan 31, 2013 9:44 AM (in response to JoeBidgood)

JoeBidgood wrote:

Even if the machine was off for a long time

What do you mean by "a long time" ? Is it determined somewhere ? In my case we are moving all machines from a server to another one and we would like be able to monitor this moving with Managed status.

• Joshua Harrison Newcomer 36 posts since
    Jan 21, 2013
    4. Jan 31, 2013 10:59 AM (in response to gaylord)

What do you mean by "a long time" ? Is it determined somewhere ?

Yea if you go to Menu - Configuration - Server Settings.Underder Detected System Compliance you can change how ePO determines Manage, Rogue, Exception, and Inactive systems.

• JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,880 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009
    5. Jan 31, 2013 4:39 PM (in response to gaylord)

Sorry - in this case I should have said "indefinitely". An entry in ePO will not change state if the machine does not communicate.

About the only time I have seen a machine appear to change state is if the machine was deleted from ePO - for example by an inactive agent maintenance task - and a new, unmanaged entry was added shortly afterwards by an Active Directory sync task.

HTH -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

• ekim Newcomer 3 posts since
    Sep 3, 2012
    7. Jan 31, 2013 11:51 PM (in response to romardy)

Even if the machines were off for long time, the machine status should remain as managed in ePO tree.

Most likely, you have got a server task to clean up inactive agent and detlete the machine entry from ePO tree.  then your Active directory synch creates the unmanaged workstation entries in ePO tree.

• Laszlo G Veteran 1,213 posts since
    May 23, 2007
    8. Feb 1, 2013 4:54 AM (in response to romardy)

The definition tou're showing is a criteria used by the Rogue Sensor but not by ePO itself so, as ekim told, it won't convert managed systems to unmanaged unless yourself or an automated task deletes computers from ePO. But even in this case computers would disappear from ePO, not channging to "unmanaged" unless you have an AD sync task running under your automated tasks.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points