9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 9:02 PM by romardy RSS

Systems become unmanaged workstations

romardy

Hi,

Is there a possibility that systems become unmanaged because they are not connected to network or system are shutdown for a long span?

• 1. Re: Systems become unmanaged workstations
          JoeBidgood

Not by default, no - once a system is shown as managed, it will stay that way. Even if the machine was off for a long time and was removed from the ePO system tree (for example by the inactive agent maintenance task), the next time it was switched on it would reappear in the tree and show as managed.

HTH -

Joe

• 2. Re: Systems become unmanaged workstations
            romardy

Thank your for the info Joe...

• 3. Re: Systems become unmanaged workstations
              gaylord

JoeBidgood wrote:

Even if the machine was off for a long time

What do you mean by "a long time" ? Is it determined somewhere ? In my case we are moving all machines from a server to another one and we would like be able to monitor this moving with Managed status.

• 4. Re: Systems become unmanaged workstations
                Joshua Harrison

What do you mean by "a long time" ? Is it determined somewhere ?

Yea if you go to Menu - Configuration - Server Settings.Underder Detected System Compliance you can change how ePO determines Manage, Rogue, Exception, and Inactive systems.

• 5. Re: Systems become unmanaged workstations
                  JoeBidgood

Sorry - in this case I should have said "indefinitely". An entry in ePO will not change state if the machine does not communicate.

About the only time I have seen a machine appear to change state is if the machine was deleted from ePO - for example by an inactive agent maintenance task - and a new, unmanaged entry was added shortly afterwards by an Active Directory sync task.

HTH -

Joe

• 6. Re: Systems become unmanaged workstations
                    romardy

I am now having an idea why machines become Unmanaged on our ePo systems. As I've checked settings of Managed systems, I found out below.

Detected System definitions
                    Managed Has Agent in ePO Database and Last Agent Communication within 20 days

I figured out those machines were off for along time due to we have shutdown for specific machines on production lines. All the others that says Unamanged become Managed now when the machine is switched back on.

Thanks guys for your comments and inputs.

• 7. Re: Systems become unmanaged workstations
                      ekim

Even if the machines were off for long time, the machine status should remain as managed in ePO tree.

Most likely, you have got a server task to clean up inactive agent and detlete the machine entry from ePO tree.  then your Active directory synch creates the unmanaged workstation entries in ePO tree.

• 8. Re: Systems become unmanaged workstations
                        Laszlo G

The definition tou're showing is a criteria used by the Rogue Sensor but not by ePO itself so, as ekim told, it won't convert managed systems to unmanaged unless yourself or an automated task deletes computers from ePO. But even in this case computers would disappear from ePO, not channging to "unmanaged" unless you have an AD sync task running under your automated tasks.

• 9. Re: Systems become unmanaged workstations
                          romardy

We have an automated task which is Sync AD task that runs every hour and the Inactive agent cleanup task is set to disabled. Are this task affects the problem?

How can I prevent this system from reappearing? And will make ePo clean from Unamanaged systems?