Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
This discussion is archived
1552 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 8:29 AM by dmease729 RSS
dmease729 Champion 267 posts since
Jul 22, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 23, 2013 8:51 AM

Global update appears to be sending out wakeup-calls when superagent wake-up calls expire

Hi,

We have global updating enabled, and 3 superagent repositories running on selected VLANs.  I noted a couple of days ago that there appeared to be something happening that does not appear to be documented.  The following server tasks were seen in the server task log:

Update Master Repository task 18:09:46 completed in 5 minutes
Global Update replication task 18:15:37 completed in 3 minutes (replication to all superagent repositories)
Wake Up Agents task 18:18:44 failed (3/3 calls expired)

The 'wake' up agents task was expected as part of the normal global updating process, however what followed next was not.  After the super-agent wake up calls expired, singular wake up calls where seen to be initiated to every single system in the ePO system tree, and during this time, manual wake-up calls and attempted agent deployments were failing (I am assuming this is due to the backlog of wake-up calls).

My question is: The action of the wake-up calls that appear to have been sent out to every system after the super-agent wake-up calls expired does not appear to be documented.  Is it expected, and is this some form of fallback?  I would suspect this is not meant to happen, as per page 190 in the ePO4.6 prouct guide:

"If the agent does not receive the broadcast for any reason, such as when the client computer is turned off, or there are no SuperAgents, at the next ASCI, the minimum catalog version is supplied, which starts the process."

and indeed from page 191:

"A SuperAgent is installed on each broadcast segment. Managed systems cannot receive a SuperAgent wake-up call if there is no SuperAgent on the same broadcast segment. Global updating uses the SuperAgent wake-up call to alert agents that new updates are available."

This would seem to indicate that a)servers on subnets not covered by a superagent will pick up updates after next ASCI and b) (loosely interpreted) that if they do not receive a wake-up call from a superagent on their subnet (which would happen after the result of a super-agent wake-up call expiry) then again, they will pick up updates after next ASCI.  Neither of which would require the ePO server to start sending out singular wakeup calls to all systems in the system tree.

cheers,

• JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,877 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009

That's certainly not the behaviour I would expect. Is this new? As in, has it only recently started?

Thanks -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

• JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,877 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009

Very strange... I'll have to see if I can reproduce it in a test environment. I'll update the thread with what I find.

Regards -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

• ekim Newcomer 3 posts since
    Sep 3, 2012

just curiosity, are you sure that ePo sent an agentwakup call to all clients in all segments? or just to the segment where ePo server resides? as long as I am concern, with Global update task, ePO server itself sent an agentwakup call into its own segment......

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points