Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
11162 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2013 11:21 AM by mgonzalezo RSS
netik Newcomer 17 posts since
Jan 22, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 23, 2013 6:27 AM

How to update McAfee Agent properly

Hello,  I'm very new to ePO and have to manage our mcafee environment (~3500 clients) in future. The thing which I don't understand most of all, is the whole updating process..

Right now, McAfee Agent 4.6.0.2292 and Agent ePO Agent Key Updater 4.6.0.1444 are installed on our clients.

When I take a look in the softwaremanager, it says there are 10 Updates available for McAfee Agent. For example:

Install - Windows (Patch 1) 4.6.0.2292

Install - Windows (Patch 2) Repost 4.6.0.2935

Install - Windows (Patch 3)  4.6.0.3122

ePO Agent Key Updater 4.6.0.1694

ePO Agent Key Updater (Patch 2) Repost 4.6.0.2935

ePO Agent Key Updater (Patch3) 4.6.0.3122

Questions:

- How should I do the update? There is a checkin and update button in the software manager...do I have to check it in into the evaluation branch and then press update? Or should I do it with a product update client task? is it the same? Or do I have to deploy patches with a deployment client task?  My goal is to update 10 clients which are tagged with a test-tag first and then do the whole big update.

- What is the ePO Agent Key Updater for? Should I update it before or after the agent itself?

- Can I skip Patch 2 when I install Patch 3?

Sorry for all those question, but I really don't understand it when I read the handbook/manual.

I hope someone can help me.

• petersimmons McAfee Employee 230 posts since
    Dec 22, 2009
    1. Jan 23, 2013 8:30 AM (in response to netik)
    Re: How to update McAfee Agent properly

This is essentially a two step process.

1. Check the product into ePO

2. Deploy the product to your endpoints.

To get it into ePO you only need to check in the latest version of they Key Updater and the Patch into the Current branch. You can press the Update beside those two items only.

To get it deployed to your agents create a client task of a type called McAfee Agent -> Product Deployment -> Create Task and then choose "install" the latest McAfee Agent version..

And you can jump straight to the latest version of the patch, which is patch 3.

• JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,868 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009
    3. Jan 25, 2013 9:37 AM (in response to netik)

Strictly speaking you shouldn't need to do it in two steps: the VSE installer will recognise that a previous version is installed and upgrade it. This might avoid the scenario that is causing the request for a reboot. (It's not guaranteed, however - as I understand it there are certain situations where a reboot is unavoidable.)

I would try with just the install task and see if it works better in your environment.

HTH -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

• JoeBidgood McAfee SME 2,868 posts since
    Sep 11, 2009
    5. Jan 25, 2013 11:36 AM (in response to netik)

Another thing to try would be to manually run the VSE installer on a client machine: that way it will run interactively and it will tell you what it's doing. It may be that this will give us a better idea of what's causing the reboot request.

HTH -

Joe

(Please post questions to the forum, as I am unable to respond to private messages. Thanks!)

• mgonzalezo Newcomer 1 posts since
    May 2, 2013
    7. May 2, 2013 11:21 AM (in response to netik)

Hello everyone,

I'm also trying to update McAfee Agent from 4.5 to 4.6. I've noticed also in the Software Manager, that I need to upgrade some components of the McAfee Agent product, specifically:

* ePO agent key updadter (patch3)

* Install - Windows (Patch 3, Embedded Credentials)

I've read the ePo's product guide to understand the purpose of this ePO agent key update, but I still don't understand why there's an component Install Windows + Embedded Credentials. Does it mean that additional credentiales will be installed in the client machine when updating McAfee Agent??

There is also a Reporting and Policy Extension (patch3) component pending to be updated. Should I update this also? Does it affect the deploy of new McAfee agent in the client machine?

Any help will be useful as I running out of time to perform this update. Thanks in advance.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points