Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2235 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 6:17 PM by rmetzger RSS
Madana Gopal Rajabather Newcomer 3 posts since
Jan 21, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 21, 2013 7:19 AM

Enable Scriptproxy automatically

Hi All,

After installing VSE if users open IE 9 they get option to enable script proxy addon.

I read and understood the bewlo article

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB76307&actp=LIST_RECENT,

that the user can enable it or to change the GPO policy to enable all add-ons. But my requirement is when going for VSE deployment for large no of users we cannot educate everyone to select enable when they launch IE after installing VSE or its not recommended to enable all add-ons via GPO.

So let me know if any otherway if we can enable scriptscan alone without user intervention after installing VSE.

Thanks in Advance to all.

• rmetzger Champion 566 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005
    Re: Enable Scriptproxy automatically

Hi Madana Gopal Rajabather,

Welcome to the Forums.

Madana Gopal Rajabather wrote:

Hi All,

After installing VSE if users open IE 9 they get option to enable script proxy addon.

I read and understood the below article

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB76307&actp=LIST_RECENT,

that the user can enable it or to change the GPO policy to enable all add-ons. But my requirement is when going for VSE deployment for large no of users we cannot educate everyone to select enable when they launch IE after installing VSE or its not recommended to enable all add-ons via GPO.

So let me know if any otherway if we can enable scriptscan alone without user intervention after installing VSE.

Thanks in Advance to all.

The article listed:

KB76307:

Cause

This is a valid prompt for the VSE ScriptScan feature and cannot be suppressed by McAfee due to limitations of the Browser and Domain policy. Newer browsers provide new levels of security to users by enabling them to make the decision whether a browser add-on is enabled or not. Administrators can control whether users have the ability to enable or disable add-ons.

Solution

Click Enable or contact your Administrator to configure the Group Policy Settings for Internet Explorer 9 to not prompt users for this message.

To review the available Group Policy Settings for Internet Explorer 9, see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff986259.aspx

points to the solution:

(see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff986259.aspx )

ff986259:

Policy name                                                                   Policy path                                                     

Automatically enable newly installed add-ons        Windows Components\Internet Explorer

So you (or your network administrator) needs to make a Group Policy Setting listed above to make this automatic.

Once VSE is deployed, reverse this setting change.

For a large number of users, you will probably want to do this in batches, to control deployment.

Hope this is helpful,

Ron Metzger

• rmetzger Champion 566 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005
    Re: Enable Scriptproxy automatically

Hi Madana Gopal Rajabather,

From your reply what i understand is if we dont want a user intervention then only option is to change the GPO and reverse it once the installation completed.

Yes, that is the case.

Also i would like to Know what happens if a user select not enable when it prompts.

Is there any option in ePO to trac those users didnt enabled the add-on

Not sure; haven't investigated this before. My guess would be that some registry entry or entries would indicate this, in which case if you can identify the suspect systems, you can repeat the process of forcing the install again.

Anyone else know the answer?

If you find the exact set of settings that indicate they un-selected ScriptProxy when prompted, post back so we can all learn.

Thanks,

Ron Metzger

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points