6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2013 1:49 PM by msalves

Java

halton

I have been reading and hearing about the hacking of Java. I am being prompted to update my java. Should I? One thing I read was that I should completely

un-install Java Should I?

thank you.

Jerry

• 1. Re: Java
          exbrit

Yes always keep it up to date, as you should be doing with all your software.  It's your option if you wish to disable it.  If you surf safely I see little reason to worry.

The more cautious of us might disagree with me on that last statement however.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/01/13 5:07:39 EST PM
          • 2. Re: Java
            halton

Thank you very much.

Jerry

• 3. Re: Java
              exbrit

You're welcome.

• 4. Re: Java
                Hayton

halton wrote:

I have been reading and hearing about the hacking of Java. I am being prompted to update my java. Should I? One thing I read was that I should completely un-install Java Should I?

I'm one of those who say that Java is unnecessary for most Home users. In the workplace I accept that Java is needed for a number of corporate systems, but you only really need Java on a home PC for online gaming. Not many websites use it.

If you must keep Java on your system it is essential to keep it up to date with the latest patches, but even if you do that you still won't be completely safe. Most malware exploits target Java bugs which have already been fixed - so if you're running the latest version you're covered - but there is a regular flow of Java zero-day exploits. That means the malware authors always have a window of opportunity to infect systems before Oracle comes up with a fix.

If you can do without Java my advice is to ditch it. If you need it, disable it in all browsers except one, and use that one browser for websites that need Java. Chrome is best since it will not run Java without asking you first for permission.

See

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/01/new-java-exploit-fetches-5000-per-buyer/

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2013/01/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-java-exploit/

http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/625617

• 5. Re: Java
                  halton

I have tried to uninstall java I have three entries with java Java 7 update 10, Java (TM) SE runtime environment 6, java FX 2.1.1 can I uninstall and the others will automatically follow?

When I try to uninstall with windows I eventually get the message An unidentified program wants to access your computer- unidentified publisher the question is should I continue?

Jerry

• 6. Re: Java
                    msalves

In case Java 06 serves to older software compatible with XP and 95.98, 10.07 and now Java Java FX are basically the same thing, Java FX is a new linguagen programming in java that surjindo slowly and Java already 7:10 is the latest update of java approved.

I advise you all javas will uninstall and install only java since 7:13 that automatically installs the Java FX.

when the message appears desconnhecido editor you can quietly allow, but remember only accepted with software known as Java, Flash Player, Adobe Reader, WinRAR, etc..