Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
682 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 12:38 AM by edburns RSS
feeeds The Place at McAfee Member 102 posts since
Apr 26, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 16, 2013 12:20 PM

Reporting overview

I'm looking for a way to generate some custom reports showing top x machines with vulnerabilites, with just a listing of the vulnerabilites.  I've been running reports for a few days now, and they all seem to be hundreds of pages in length.  I would like a high level report that only shows assets and the vulnerabilites.  thanks,

• craig.carrigan Newcomer 11 posts since
    Jan 10, 2011
    1. Jan 29, 2013 2:34 PM (in response to feeeds)
    Re: Reporting overview

I created a vulnerability set, and then applied it to the custom report to pull just the vulnerabilities I wanted. It takes a few minutes to build, and there is a little trial and error, but that did the trick for me

• John M Sopp The Place at McAfee Member 88 posts since
    Nov 17, 2009
    2. Jan 31, 2013 8:19 AM (in response to feeeds)

I think one really decent way is to leverage excelcustom reports, and  the vulnerabilities.csv.

example..

Excel:tab 1-paste contents of the vulns.csv

excel tab 2-pivot table with the system names as the source. adjacent columns searching "tab 1" for the number of occurences of each system name coupled with the risk level(using the countifs function)-this will give you system name, highs, mediums, lows for each system..and you can easily add another column to total

Excel tab 3 if youre interested in getting affected system counts by for each vuln, you can do another pivot table with the vuln name from "tab 1" as the source. then add a column to count the number of occurrences of each vuln name in "tab 1"

You can do this outside of excel too with scripting, use a custom built app, or there are also some vendor solutions that can help.

• edburns Newcomer 16 posts since
    Jan 4, 2013
    4. Feb 1, 2013 12:39 AM (in response to feeeds)

I have found the most efficient and modular approach to obtain data from MVM is via writing your own SQL queries. It provides a much simpler facility for dynamically pulling the data you want - I do it in VBA so results come straight into Excel formatted however I desire.If you want reporting customized to your needs read the database schema and starting writing SQL queries !

Message was edited by: edburns on 2/1/13 12:39:53 AM CST

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points