1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2014 3:30 AM by Peacekeeper RSS

McAfee Firewall turning off automatically

videophile

I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem that has recently popped up.  My McAfee Firewall keeps turning itself off automatically.  If I turn it back on it works fine for a while (5 min01 hour) thenthe warning pops uyp again.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

I've tried the following:

- Control Panel -> System adn Security -> Windows Firewall.  There's an "Update your Firewall Settings" error.  When I click on the "Use Recommended Settings button I get error code 0xc8007042c.

- Services (as admin) -> Windows Firewall:  the Startup Type is set to Automatc.  The Service Status is Stopped.  When I press the start button I receive error code 1068.

-Ran Fixit from Microsoft and that didn't help.

Any suggestions would be greatly apprecaited.

• 1. Re: McAfee Firewall turning off automatically
          Ex_Brit

This is Windows 7 SP1 I trust and also make sure that your have IE9 installed and updated, even if youn don't use it, McAfee does.

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it will fix this:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If not I recommend opening a case with Technical Support.  They are linked under Useful Links at the top of this page and it's free by phone or online chat.

I hope you aren't running registry cleaners.  If you are try seeing if there is a restore button on them.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/01/13 6:48:07 EST AM

Note since this thread was published IE11 should be installed.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/06/14 5:24:37 EDT PM

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/06/14 5:25:20 EDT PM
          • 2. Re: McAfee Firewall turning off automatically
            jojobe

Im Having the same problem but its been for years. the product shuts off. ive had Mccaffes since 2009 and all the calls ive ever made into the call center were for this same problem. Hackers have found a way to attack the program and shut it off or their is a problem with files being lost. I bet if alot of people took the time and look they would see it off as well while it says its on. I dont have anything to steal that im aware of but people who do should be worried. The thing is Mccaffe is acting like nothing is going on. When they really have a big problem. Screw the consumer its about their business, i really hate that. Instead of tellling poeple to do x why z because of problem they are being tight lipped. But its is doing what your saying and its been doing it for years.

• 3. Re: McAfee Firewall turning off automatically
              catdaddy

Please read the following thread https://community.mcafee.com/message/333995#333995   Click on the Link inserted within it.  In addition to running the Latest (MVT) there are other Suggestions/Solutions to try and resolve your problem.

If all else fails, Technical Support can be reached via Chat/Phone and it is free. You can find how to access TS under "Useful Links", below my Signature, and in the article with-in that thread.

Wishing you all the Best,

Regards,

• 4. Re: McAfee Firewall turning off automatically
                Ex_Brit

McAfee stops thousands of such attacks silently, just check SecurityCenter > Navigation > Security History.   It takes quite a while to load.   However, there is no such thing as a 100% security guarantee and there is no product available today that claims that.  A lot of things reply on you the user keeping your system totally up to date, including any parts that you may never use.  For instance even if you use another browser, many processes still use Internet Explorer to it's vital that is also kept totally up to date.

Also be very careful where you surf anf what you download as many file shares in particular carry unwanted baggage with them.

The last link in my signature below gives some hints and tools to use for malware protection.

Momentary lapses in the firewall are normal but prolonged ones would indicate something bad on the system.  Technical Support can't help with that unless you want to pay for their professional malware removal service.

Asking here get's similar advice for free.

This thread is old and although the issue may seem the same, the reasons can change as the software changes all the time.

CD's advice is also good so follow all our advice please.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/06/14 5:27:57 EDT PM
                • 5. Re: McAfee Firewall turning off automatically
                  jojobe

I read what the moderators have to say. I have virtual tech on my computer each time and it still not working after using  the VT program.The last time I had to call in to the call center (india 3 or four months ago) only to be instructed to uninstall and reinstall the product. This is what ive been doing since 2009 you have to constantly check it to see if it working or not. That means trying to do a manuel scan, that is when you realise you have a problem youll get a great big error. But everything looks fine but it is not. If you let it go youll see that auto scan date never changes ( i let it go screw it, im not rich)because it had stopped working. After my renstall today. I tired to do a scan got an error ran the VT again it told me * 8 files were missing (this was after a fresh uninstal reinstal). After VT did its thing(updated the lost files) i was able to scan my system again. As for being up to date with the product the setting are on auto update so.....  you have to unistall it and reinstall it over and over till they figure out whats going on. My thoughts are something attacking it and removing the files and the user thinks everthing is ok when its not or..... i don't know LOL how those files were lost... LOL my guess is either something is wrong with the updater that if there were changes those files never got updated or replaced. Possibly after looking at the VT message those files are getting trashed or deleted some how by my system. I have no clue as to how that would happen. The only reason i decide to day to fix the problem is because of that virus that will lock you out of your computer and you have to pay someone in another country to unlock it, who want to go through that. I hope it can catch the russian virus that has been attacking people computer through out the US and if people think that there virus scan is working when it aint, they will be in for a suprise.

Even now i get error reports from VT- registry entry problems and 12.8.958 process not running.  what i dont like about VT the user does not have access to an error log that i can see. it only tells you the error then and there after you click fix then its gone. you cant access it again.

Message was edited by: jojobe on 6/8/14 5:39:06 PM CDT

Message was edited by: jojobe on 6/8/14 5:40:51 PM CDT

Message was edited by: jojobe on 6/8/14 5:53:26 PM CDT
                  • 6. Re: McAfee Firewall turning off automatically
                    Ex_Brit

That certainly isn't normal.  Are you using any kind of registry cleaner?  Have you check for malware using some of the tools I suggested?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/06/14 7:31:26 EDT PM
                    • 7. Re: McAfee Firewall turning off automatically
                      jojobe

I have IO bit malware fighter. No registry cleaners. I just put on IO bit a few months ago. Its the free version. Its suppose to be a good company....Hum.. i ran your stinger program and it did not find anything. I would suggest to develoopers of vt that they have a log that people can send to Mccaffees. The current so called log blows. has not detailed information that anyone can understand and cant be accessed at a later time.

Message was edited by: jojobe on 6/8/14 7:01:02 PM CDT
                      • 8. Re: McAfee Firewall turning off automatically
                        Ex_Brit

IOBit is based in China and is suspected of stealing Malwarebytes and other anti-malware vendors' intellectual property, in other words, stealing code, so I recommend you uninstall that.   ( Article here:  https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=29681 ).  Then install Malwarebytes Free, which is linked in that last link in my signature.   Update it and run a scan to make sure.

If they are capable of doing that then I wouldn't want their software anywhere near my machine.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/06/14 8:05:38 EDT PM
                        • 9. Re: McAfee Firewall turning off automatically
                          Ex_Brit

There's a review of it here that is absolutely damning:  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2419549,00.asp

1 2 Previous Next