Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
3389 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 19, 2013 11:08 AM by rmetzger RSS
mcuser999 Newcomer 25 posts since
Feb 28, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 16, 2013 12:03 AM

Difference between SuperDAT and DAT files?

I am running McAfee VSE 8.7i UNMANAGED, and I would like to know which is the most prefered DAT file to use in this case if NOT running managed.

Should I use SuperDATs or only DAT?

http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security-updates/security-updates.aspx

As far as I know, SuperDATs also should contain an updated scanning engine versions as well.

But what would be the best to use in an UNMANAGED system?

Thanks

• petersimmons McAfee Employee 230 posts since
    Dec 22, 2009
    1. Jan 16, 2013 9:19 AM (in response to mcuser999)
    Re: Difference between SuperDAT and DAT files?

Virus Scan will automatically attempt to download the latest DAT file. There is a default task that runs at 5PM local time every day. Let that run and you should be fine.

A Super DAT is a proprietary scripting language used by McAfee to accomplish almost anything. But the magic is that it is scripting by us (McAfee) that allows us to accomplish some work during the update cycle. One of the commone uses is for it to deliver an updated DAT file to a computer. Usually you won't need this.

• rmetzger Champion 567 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005
    3. Jan 16, 2013 1:26 PM (in response to mcuser999)

The SuperDAT (sdatnnnn.exe)  also contains the Scan Engine in addition to the Signature files, whereas the xDat (nnnnXDAT.exe) does not contain the Scan Engine.

Current SuperDAT files contain the 5400.exe ( http://download.nai.com/products/licensed/superdat/engine/intel/5400/5400eng.exe ) scan engine.

So, after an image restore, you could update the signatures and engine in one download. (That's if you initial VSE image is using an old version of the Scan Engine, which hopefully is not true.) Similarly, you could download the Scan Engine once, and periodically download the smaller xDat signature file, saving time and money (on both sides). The choice is yours.

The SuperDAT is useful if ever you encounter a situation where the signature files or the runtime has become corrupted, or the engine files have updated improperly, leaving the system unstable or unprotected.

I would suggest reading the Readme.txt from McAfee's site for each download where many of these details are documented.

Hope this is helpful.

Ron Metzger

• petersimmons McAfee Employee 230 posts since
    Dec 22, 2009
    4. Jan 16, 2013 10:23 PM (in response to mcuser999)

Just let it download the DAT file. You really only need the Super DAT if you are offline or otherwise need to bring it with you. If you have connectivity just let it download it.

• rmetzger Champion 567 posts since
    Jan 4, 2005
    6. Jan 19, 2013 11:08 AM (in response to mcuser999)

mcuser999 wrote:

That was my question. If I am offline, then what do I need to download?

The SuperDAT (sdatXXXX) or the DAT (XXXXxdat) ?

What would be the best prefered DAT file to download?

Well, I am assuming you already have a base install of VSE.

6956xdat.exe  or  the sdat6956.exe ?

Both files contain the Signature (DAT) files.

sdatxxxx.exe is about 5.5 MB larger than XXXXxDat.exe because sdatxxxx.exe also contains the Scan Engine (v5400).

You choose. No particular reason to use SDatxxxxx.exe over the smaller XXXXxDat.exe file if the Scan Engine is installed. Most likely you don't need the scan engine re-installed, so XXXXxDat.exe is probably the easiest to use.

From this site:

http://www.mcafee.com/apps/downloads/security-updates/security-updates.aspx?regi on=us

each tab for Dat and SuperDAT lists the most recent available file. Additionally, there is a ReadMe.txt associated with the .exe file you may download. Much of this info is discussed within the ReadMe.txt file.

Good luck,

Ron Metzger

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points