2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2013 5:22 PM by Hayton

I have a trojan

God it only took me an hour to get this far. McAfee, you rank right up there with the confusing websites/help sites around. You do me a dis-service by sending me in circles and forcing me to do things that should be unecessay. I better get started before you kick me off and I have to start over. It is expected. 

I sent the following to Windows Help site: 

Where is the Paste feature? I'm not typing all that again:    

OKAY I'M ****** NOW. FIRST OF ALL I RAN YOUR SCAN AND IT STATES THAT MY PUTER IS OKAY. WELL, IT IS NOT OKAY.

I WAS SURFING LAST NIGHT AND GOT A  POPUP STATING IHAD A TROJAN. WENT ON AND ON FOR 2-3 MINUTES AND WANTED TO SELL ME SOMETHING FOR $89. JUST SHUT OFF COMPUTER. TURNED ON AN HOUR LATER AND DID ALL MY MAINTENENCE TASKS AND RAN THE MCAFEE AND NOTHING.

PROBLEM:   FROM TIME TO TIME I GET WHAT SOUNDS LIKE A MEXICAN RADIO STATION...SOMETIMES TALK...SOMETIMES MUSIC...SOMETIMES ARGUING...ALL IN SPANISH.  IS THIS THE TROJAN?

I DO NO LIKE IT AND DO NOT LIKE THE FACT THAT MCAFEE CANNOT OR WILL NOT CATCH IT BEFORE IT INFECTS MY PUTER...AND IF IT MISSES IT, CAN'T DETECT IT OR GET RIDOF IT.

OKAY  WHAT'S UP. WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?  i'M TIRED OF MESSING WITH YOU PUTER GEEKS. i'M AN OLD MAN AND CANT TAKE IT ANYMORE. THE FACT YOUR SITE WOULD NOT LET ME PASTE A LENGTHY POST IS A DISSERVICE.  

KENNYK

• 1. Re: I have a trojan
          Peter M

An hour?    You can paste text using ctrl - v.

Anyway without knowing what your operating system and service pack is it's not easy to advise youi but the first thing I would try is to go back to before this all started using System Restore.

Try Stinger and Malwarebytes Free, maybe even RootkitRemover just in case, all linked in the last link in my signature below.

If the problem persists try posting a Hijackthis log, not here, but as instructed further down that link.

• 2. Re: I have a trojan
            Hayton

The pop-up is a clue : a Fake AV scareware program. Not sure about the "radio" - sounds like an audio file got downloaded and is running.

Yes, a System Restore should do it.