1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2014 2:31 PM by Ex_Brit RSS

McAfee TP 2013 Firewall blocking iTunes / Apple TV3

imageman

Windows 7 64 bit  /  Apple TV 3  /  McAfee Total Protection 2013

After the last update, McAfee firewall is blocking my Apple TV  /   iTunes communication. Everthing works just great when I turn the Firewall OFF.  iTunes.exe is listed in "Internet Connections for Programs".  I would appreciate a step by step instruction on how to resolvbe this so I can turn the Firewall back on - Help Appreciated, IM

• 1. Re: McAfee TP 2013 Firewall blocking iTunes / Apple TV3
          Ex_Brit

Under Internet Connections for Programs I trust that all Apple components have full permission?  Did you try a reboot as that often will initialize the software?

I have iTunes and Quicktime installed and no problems there, but I don't have Apple TV so can't advise on that one.

If the problem persists there is free phone or online chat Technical Support available via Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 2. Re: McAfee TP 2013 Firewall blocking iTunes / Apple TV3
            Ex_Brit

In addition to what I just said I thought I should add what I see in my Firewall

All have Full access

Apple Push

Apple Software Update

Ath.exe

Bonjour Service

iTunes

iTunes Helper

• 3. Re: McAfee TP 2013 Firewall blocking iTunes / Apple TV3
              burke

i had the same issue - went into Web and Email Protection>Firewall>Ports and System Services

From here, click "Add" and add in the Local Port that your ATV is on - In my case, the ATV lives on 192.168.5.148 - so add 148 under the Local TCP/IP Port.  You'll have to 'hard code' the IP address into your router - and you can verify it under the Trusted Network area of McAfee.

Problem gone - but so silly to have to go through this since it worked flawlessly before this update - and without my intervention.

• 4. Re: McAfee TP 2013 Firewall blocking iTunes / Apple TV3
                Ex_Brit

Thanks for posting that and I hope it helps people.  Yes I agree, it does seem crazy that anyone should have to go through that.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 28/01/13 7:42:49 EST AM
                • 5. Re: McAfee TP 2013 Firewall blocking iTunes / Apple TV3
                  dougk_t3

We've tightened security In the new version of Firewall (13.1). Consequently, if a system port isn't pre-defined, it will get blocked.

There are several workarounds that I can think of:

• The easiest one would be trusting the local network, no further configuration is required
                  • In firewall settings, create a trusted IP rule for the Apple TV, apparently it works only if you assign a static IP to the device
                  • In firewall settings, create a new system service port based on information from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2463,and
                    • 1) make sure the new rule is checked;
                    • 2) make sure the local network IP rule is set to “work”.
                  • 6. Re: McAfee TP 2013 Firewall blocking iTunes / Apple TV3
                    imageman

My solution after hours of labor, as mentoioned by others, uninstall McAfee and reinstall without firewall. I'm an experienced computer user, and I can only image what a less experienced person would go through to resolve this issue. On the otther hand I really like the way McAfee runs silently in the background.

• 7. Re: McAfee TP 2013 Firewall blocking iTunes / Apple TV3
                      dougk_t3

Thanks for your reply imageman. 

I'm glad you were able to resolve the problem.  My only concern is the safety of your system.  As an experienced computer user, I'm sure you understand the necessity for having some kind of firewall protection on your system, whether it's McAfee or another product.

As for the complexity of the solution I offered, I agree that it may be difficult for some people to navigate through opening the ports as per the Apple KB.  I had to do something similar when I set up my XBox a few years ago, and I had to research which ports to open etc..  :-)

Thanks for your comment re silent operation - it's nice to hear positive feedback.

• 8. Re: McAfee TP 2013 Firewall blocking iTunes / Apple TV3
                        imageman

Steerpike_ca - Ooops! I was referring more to the general problem and solution than your post, sorry.

I had been a Kaspersky user for eons, but switched  when I saw how hard  McAfee was workling to improve. And like I said before, I like the unobtrusive manner in which it runs in the background.

Also, I'm running Microsoft firewall and watching closely, thanks for your concern - Best, IM

• 9. Re: McAfee TP 2013 Firewall blocking iTunes / Apple TV3
                          togo1919

I was having success in connecting to my home laptop from my Apple TV using Home Sharing only when I disabled McAfee Firewall on my laptop.

I ran a sniffer test during a successful Home Sharing session with the Firewall off.

I was indeed seeing TCP 3689 and UDP 5353 used for communication, as expected and shared in many forums.

I found something I did not expect.  The Apple TV was sending ICMP within a UDP datagram.

I enabled ICMP ping requests in the Smart Advice and Advanced Settings tab on the McAfee Firewall.

I then did the following:

1. Restarted my Apple TV.

2. Rebooted my Computer

3. Launched iTunes

I am now able to reach my home laptop successfully with iTunes Home Sharing.

1 2 Previous Next